is her neck broken

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by louandneil, Dec 17, 2012.

1. louandneil

louandneil Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Hi my ducks were attacked by a fox the other night and I have been trying to nurse one. I have just had her in the bath and she is swimming wonky with one leg out and the other down. When I straighten her out she swims fine, legs both do the same thing. Whe I let go she goes wonky again and if she tries to swim against the side she is wonky on she goes under the water, tips onto her back and cant right herself. She walso can not walk. I have just re felt her neck where he grabbed her and it seems to have a kink in it. She cant lift her head out of the water and when she tries she flips onto her back. What do you think

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It does sound like could have some sustained some serious injuries from the attack.

Is she separated from the others?
    Is she still eating and drinking?

3. louandneil

Jun 23, 2011
    yes she is in the house on her own. She was eating and drinking lots, not so much today but is still trying. She drunk a little in the bath

4. louandneil

Jun 23, 2011
    please help

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I sent a pm to you. But I hope some others can weigh in.

Ducks can recover surprisingly well from attacks, but they don't all recover. So let's keep the communication lines open and keep up with her and try as many ideas on as we can.

If her legs have pulled muscles or sprains, then warm Epsom salts compresses will help. Es is a laxative, so you need to be careful that she doesn't eat it.

In a shallow unbreakable dish, put a few tablespoons of Epsom salts and a quarter cup of warm water.

Use paper towels or clean cloths and soak up the liquid.

Wrap that around the leg and foot and hold it as long as you both can stand it.

Do that as many times a day as you can, three a day at first if possible. Even once a day will help. It may also help her recover from the trauma.

Also, if she is in shock and not eating, but drinking a little, poultry Nutri-Drench has calories and some vitamins. Gruel, which is water that has had grains soaking in it, also has calories and nurients. Vitamins, electrolytes, probiotics are good, too.

If there are puncture wounds they need to be cleaned and I lean toward wanting to use oral antibiotics, since deeper wounds can introduce bacteria into the bloodstream.

Please keep us updated, I will try to check back as often as I can (I have an appointment this afternoon).

1 person likes this.
  6. louandneil

Jun 23, 2011
    Thank you I have given her some metacam and I have some oral poultry baytril somewhere which I will dig out. Thank you for your help. She is eating and drinking I am sure the balance issue is her neck as when I counter balance her she can swim straight and if I let go she either goes round in large circles or if she goes the bad was round she goes under the water. Ill keep up the baths and meds and hope she makes it.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Amiga has given you some excellent advice. I hope you will keep us updated on her condition. Ducks are certainly fighters and many have fully recovered from various predator attacks. I wish your duck a speedy recovery [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X2 [​IMG]

9. wickedgrrl

wickedgrrl New Egg

Dec 15, 2012
    Looks like some excellent advice had been given. If she has puncture wounds try genetian violet which can be purchased at drug stores. My duck survived a very bad attack from my own dog when she was just three months old. I swear by the stuff. Sending prayers your way. And please keep us posted

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How is she doing today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by