Is incest a thing for chickens?

I'd call those defects too. Something that severe is highly unlikely to happen. With living animals you can never say never, anything can happen, but don't worry about that. Most of us that breed siblings or parents to offspring don't see that kind of stuff. I never have.
Ok thank you

Yeah I was planning on hatching some with a broody hen.

I don’t care if they go broody or not, that doesn’t bother me. What I am calling a defect is like a third leg or two heads or zero organs, something that will prevent the chicken from living a normal life.
That is highly highly unlikely highly. You wouldn't have to worry about any more inbreeding if it hatched with no organs

I did that for the longest time too.
We are just so hardwired against some things, then you throw in movies, urban legends and real examples like some early royal families....lol!
I still blurt out stuff like "stop flirting with your mom" from time to time even though I know better. :)
That’s what I’ve been thinking of, if it’s like humans lol.

I did that for the longest time too.
We are just so hardwired against some things, then you throw in movies, urban legends and real examples like some early royal families....lol!
I still blurt out stuff like "stop flirting with your mom" from time to time even though I know better. :)
It is a little weird lol but thanks for the info I appreciate it....now we will see about chicks in the future

LOL I found myself yelling at my pair of White Orpingtons (siblings) this morning. "Derek be nice to your sister! No, no, you're doing it all wrong! Watch your brother, he knows how to do it!" He always grabs the back of her head from the front, holds her there, squats and breeds the ground. *shakes head* His Silver-laced brother has no problems breeding the pullets he's in with. lol

But back to the original question, inbreeding is alright to do. But always remember faults just like good traits can be strengthened and fixed through inbreeding. So if you have an aggressive male, or side sprigs on a comb just remember breeding two birds that are related, sharing the same genes, means those traits will be more likely to be passed on to their offspring.

LOL I found myself yelling at my pair of White Orpingtons (siblings) this morning. "Derek be nice to your sister! No, no, you're doing it all wrong! Watch your brother, he knows how to do it!" He always grabs the back of her head from the front, holds her there, squats and breeds the ground. *shakes head* His Silver-laced brother has no problems breeding the pullets he's in with. lol

But back to the original question, inbreeding is alright to do. But always remember faults just like good traits can be strengthened and fixed through inbreeding. So if you have an aggressive male, or side sprigs on a comb just remember breeding two birds that are related, sharing the same genes, means those traits will be more likely to be passed on to their offspring.
Yes. I don't keep any Cockerels. My Rooster breeds his offspring.

Back
Top Bottom