Is is OK to wash eggs?

Quote:
I do all the time--little warning though -once you wash them you are washing the "bloom" off-their protective sheild if you will.. They wont last as long due to bacteris now having a easier way inside--just use those eggs first:)

I would say yes. Run it under warm water and wipe gently with a paper towel. I've haven't had a poopy egg yet, but that is what I would do.
wink.png

I dont wash them just so I can store them longer. What I tell people to do is "wash in warm water just before cracking." I read on a site somewhere that the warm water will make stuff flow from the inside out but cold can drive the bacteria into the egg. I am not sure if that is true or not...sounds kind of like osmosis or something...anybody know for sure? Anyhow, the warm water feels better and gets stuck on stuff off faster! Terri O

I wash my eggs prior to selling.
Some people use a drop of bleach, some use a drop of egg wash. I use nothing only lukewarm water and a sponge. I've been doing it this way for 30 years.
This is a heated debate among some poultry people. To wash or not to wash.

Commercial egg producers wash every egg.

I wonder how many people wash eggs prior to using? either commercial or backyard bought eggs.
Some people I know who don't wash their eggs before they sell them and their chickens houses are filthy.
sickbyc.gif

World Poultry had a article on egg washing a month or so ago.

I don't wash my eggs. I tell my customers that I don't, and the reason why. I saw an ad on CL the other day that said that they washed their eggs and sealed with food grade mineral oil--I emailed them and asked how they did it and if they had any info but they never emailed me back.

I have never heard of the mineral oil thing-but I am still new at this.

There are egg producers that use the mineral oil thing alot. Seeing that is not what mineral oil was created for and I believe just adds to the bacteria entry into the pores as you cannot "replace" the bloom I just wipe them best I can with a dry cloth and last resort a damp one. Had no issues but my eggs always are sold within 3 days of being laid so they do not get a chance to go bad.

Back
Top Bottom