Is is possible to have a silkie with only 4 toes?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mom2chicksandpups, Apr 28, 2009.

1. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    I have read that Silkies have 5 toes. I got 10 from Ideal today and most of them do. I did notice that one has only 4 toes on each foot, though. They marked my chicks with colored dots on their heads, so I am certain this is "supposed to" be a Silkie. Would it be something else because it has only 4 toes?

Honestly, I don't care if they aren't show quality as long as they are good pets. I just wanted to get the type of chick that I paid for.

Thanks!

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Yes, it means its pet quality. Thats not uncommon for hatchery silkies.

3. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Thanks. I will still love it, but just wanted to be sure it could actually be a Silkie. That's what I figured, but had to ask.

I usually end up choosing my favorites based on personality more than appearance, so you never know... This little guy/gal may still be a keeper!

4. jywel417

jywel417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    I actually got 4 silkie chicks last week from people that only had silkies in the breeding pen and in the surrounding pens. They are def all 4 silkies and could have gotten all of them with 5 toes on each foot but I was picking cute babies with color I liked since they are pets and not breeding quality. I have 2 with 4 toes, one has 4 toes on one foot and 5 on the other foot, and then one with 5 toes on each foot [​IMG] It was my understanding that 4 toes isn't uncommon in hatchery/pet silkies [​IMG] but I am new [​IMG] Hope you are enjoying your little fluffy babies as much as I am enjoying mine !!!

5. chickenbuddy0

chickenbuddy0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    southwest Illinois
    Hey, I 've had pet silkies for years and occasionally you will get one like that . I like it--- seem's like they can walk alittle better.

6. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Having 4 toes does not mean they are mixed or make them any less then a beautiful silkie. I have saw some very quality silkies with 4 toes it just happens somewhere down the line with genetics. I have a beautiful show quality girl who is throwing 4 toe babies but also some with 5 toes thats growing up to be beautiful then she is. So if your wanting quality you rid the ones with 4 toes but if your not showing and they are for your pleasure then 4 toes is not bad for a silkie only for showing and breeding. I know some may to breed out the 4 toes and some do breed it out but down the line it may or can show up again.

7. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    So if they have anything more than 4 toes they can be considered better than pet quality?

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    No; 6 toes is also PQ. 5 toes are the only acceptable # for SQ; anything else is a DQ.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by