is it a bad idea to feed egg shells back to chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mercedes, Oct 10, 2010.

1. mercedes

mercedes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    TX
    My girls are 61/2 month old now and everybody is laying [​IMG] They give me the most beautiful and delicious brown eggs, one even presents me with a HUGE double yoker about twice a week.For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to feed the shells back to them after I enjoyed the egg(calcium,treat and so on)Last week I found several crushed eggs and thought that one of the hens had stepped on them going in or coming out of the nest box.However,yesterday I found two that had peck marks on them.Did I teach the girls a bad habit?

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    It's ok to feed eggs shells, just make sure they're cooked.

3. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Feeding back eggshells doesn't create egg-eating. It sometimes happens from boredom, though I think some chickens just have a predispostion to become egg-eaters.

I disagree that is necessary to cook the shells.... we just throw ours in with the rest of the kitchen scraps and toss them in the chicken yard daily. We have rarely had an egg eater in all the years we've had chickens.

4. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I don't cook mine either. I give them a bit of a rinse and let them dry out. Then I crush them up finely with my mortar and pestle so they don't look like egg shells. I sprinkle some each day into their pellets and on the floor of the coop. I don't bother with the oyster shells and my hens eggs are solid.

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I used to boil and bake and crush my egg shells, but i don't anymore. It just isn't necessary, and i've never had a problem with egg eating - not even shelless eggs. The sooner i throw the egg shells out to the girls, the less time they spend in my kitchen and the less work i go through to replenish their calcium supply.

I also don't use oyster shells - never have, and i have great egg shells.

6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    I don't cook the shells either, just rinse them under running water to remove any raw egg and send 'em back to the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by