Is it a bad sign for an internal layer/ egg yolk peritonitis?

I'm a veterinarian. No pet chicken is worth that risk. Use an appropriate antibiotic. I agree antibiotics in our food animals is a huge problem.
Some vets feel like you do, which is fine, but many are quite willing to prescribe it and the other banned drugs.
big_smile.png
Most vets in my area have no problem prescribing it. Even if they weren't willing to prescribe it, it's so easy easy to get without a script. Bonus that it can also be used in cats and dogs.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Disclaimer:
Not suggesting that people go out and get Baytri (Enrofloxacin) to treat all of their animals, but having some on hand could come in handy and will cost *much* less than vets sell it for ($40 for 100 ml of 10% generic injectable). Baytril should be used with the supervision of a veterinarian.

Last edited:
You actually are suggesting that - and it's a bad idea. And a backyard of campylobacter feces will be your reward. Enjoy! (FDA exists for a reason - Baytril is not actually allowable for poultry, unlike other drugs with off label allowances).

You actually are suggesting that - and it's a bad idea. And a backyard of campylobacter feces will be your reward. Enjoy! (FDA exists for a reason - Baytril is not actually allowable for poultry, unlike other drugs with off label allowances).
Most poultry are already carriers of campylobacter, as well as other farm animals. It is pretty common to have it in their intestines. Handwashing and cooking the chicken are usually all that's needed to prevent it. It is true that Baytril is not to be used in poultry, although many backyard chicken owners use it or it is prescribed by vets quietly to treat serious infections in birds that will not be eaten by their owners since they are pets. The law was made to keep commercial poultry producers from using it willy nilly to prevent infections in their chickens meant for public consumption. Bacitracin and other antibiotics have also be banned from commercial stock for the same reason. When people on BYC recommend Baytril for use, they usually include the facts about the ban, and a warning not to eat the meat. Here are some facts about campylobacter in chickens:
http://aem.asm.org/content/69/8/4343
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/22/campylobacter-infection
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...verview_of_avian_campylobacter_infection.html

Last edited:
I have a hard time writing what I mean, lol. Sure, get some Baytril to have just in case, but also find a vet that won't have a problem with you using it, and get them to teach you how to use it properly on all species.

Semi-hypothetical situation, and I mean this in the nicest way possible... What should one do if they have a 500 gram turkey poult or peachick with probable blackhead and E.coli? How would a vet that doesn't prescribe banned drugs treat it?

-Kathy

I have a hard time writing what I mean, lol. Sure, get some Baytril to have just in case, but also find a vet that won't have a problem with you using it, and get them to teach you how to use it properly on all species.

Semi-hypothetical situation, and I mean this in the nicest way possible... What should one do if they have a 500 gram turkey poult or peachick with probable blackhead and E.coli? How would a vet that doesn't prescribe banned drugs treat it?

-Kathy

For those that are curious, there is no way that I know of for the average person to to treat a bird this size with anything but 1/4 of a 100mg metronidazole pill (Meditrich) and Baytril.

Banned drugs:
http://www.farad.org/eldu/prohibit.asp
GROUP I. Drugs with No Allowable Extra-Label Uses in Any Food-Producing Animal Species

• CHLORAMPHENICOL
  • CLENBUTEROL
  • DIETHYLSTILBESTEROL (DES)
  • FLUOROQUINOLONE–CLASS ANTIBIOTICS
  • GLYCOPEPTIDES — all agents, including VANCOMYCIN
  • MEDICATED FEEDS
  • NITROIMIDAZOLES — all agents, including DIMETRIDAZOLE, IPRONIDAZOLE, METRONIDAZOLE and others
  • NITROFURANS — all agents, including FURAZOLIDINE, NITROFURAZONE and others

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom