Is it a bird, is it a plane? No it's my araucana!

XxMingirlxX

Songster
9 Years
Dec 12, 2013
Lancashire, England
Hello, today we purchased an araucana, she was quite stressed and panicked and just cleared our electric fence. Can we make it larger with regular fencing, should we put normal higher fencing on the inner of the fence so they can't flight out but are still safe from predators. It might just or been that she was panicking, she only just made it over after all. But I want advice anyway apart from clipping her wings.

If you don't want to clip a wing, then I can't think of any other option other than to put up a higher internal fence. Did you give her time to adjust to your other birds before putting her in with them? For example putting her in a dog crate inside their run where they can see eachother but can't get at each other?

Hello, today we purchased an araucana, she was quite stressed and panicked and just cleared our electric fence. Can we make it larger with regular fencing, should we put normal higher fencing on the inner of the fence so they can't flight out but are still safe from predators. It might just or been that she was panicking, she only just made it over after all. But I want advice anyway apart from clipping her wings.

My run is about 4 ft high. If you clip the feathers on one wing of the bird it will help.

Make sure there is no blood in the shaft of the feather before you clip or your bird may bleed to death.

On some birds you may even have to clip a few secondary flight feathers.

One wing throws the bird off balance and is more effective than trimming equal amounts off both wings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom