Is it a Hen or a Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alyshouse, Jul 3, 2007.

1. alyshouse

alyshouse New Egg

Jul 3, 2007
    We have 3 hens, I think! One of them I'm worried will become a rooster and we would have to part with her/him. We live in the city limits. They are 3 months old and can someone tell me some general early characteristics to look out for. Her coloring is actually like the latest Pic of the Week. Is that a Rooster? Thanks

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    the comb on top of the head will be much larger he will have small waddles under his chin

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Post a picture and someone here can help you out.

4. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Quote:Ok I have a chicken that has confused me since I got it. Rocky has a smaller comb than Rowdy and Foggy. Rocky's wattles are much smaller too. And then Foggy tried to climb upon Rocky. Could Rocky be a hen? I will have pics in a few days. I don't have a digital camera.

5. Julie R

Julie R Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    well i am glad to see i am not the only one with a confused look on my face when trying to tell if it is a roo/hen, but i got my answear a few mornings ago when outside with my great dane at about 4:15 am KFC got up and started crowing i am so happy !!

Julie

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Julie....how old is he? I cant wait to hear mine crow.......he is 12 weeks.

7. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Foggy crowed at 9 weeks and Rowdy is just now crowing almost 3 months. He is honking tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by