Is it a roo? Are THEY?

TinyChickenLady

Songster
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
My backyard farm, Maine
I have to chickens that are a month old now. I hatched them from mix eggs so I'm not sure of the breed but I think I have and RIR and and Americauna. They chat all the time and are constantly making noises. But this morning my RIR (Dot) started making a new noise like she was trying to crow.... Haha uh oh! Will they crow that early or is she/he just finding his/her voice? LoL I didn't want to have to rename her, which my mother has said don't. Haha I used to have a female cat named Fergus (a boy) so I guess it's ok to keep its name but I would like to know the gender. I don't know how to check them for gender so I've just been waiting for a crow or an egg to be sure. Any help?

I have different breeds (aurtralorps and rocks), but my roos started crowning around 2 months. And even now (4 months), it's hard to tell them apart sometimes. I wouldn't worry too much about it. When they start working on their crow you'll know, because they practice all the time.

I can't post yet. I'm at work but I'll post as soon as I get home. I kinds thought they were too young but I was just curious. I'll put some up when I get home. Maybe you could help me with breed too. LoL I'm not 100% sure on them.

The little cockeral is looking at the camera. He grew up to be Little Joe who now has a new home. The sleepy head is a pullet.

57171_100_1558.jpg

Last edited:
They are cute! That's the funny thing, too. Dot's comb is nice and orange. But Fluffy's is pretty much non-existent. So I'm pretty sure Fluffy is a girl (she acts like such a lady). But Dot has me very confused LoL. I will post in the appropriate section when I get my camera. Thank you for sharing OldChick. They are adorable
smile.png

You're welcome! Little Joe did not even make an attempt to crow until he was 16 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom