Is it a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 1st time chicken lover, Sep 29, 2009.

1. 1st time chicken lover

1st time chicken lover New Egg

Sep 29, 2009
    I hope some one can help me. I was told that I have cochins, and females. Three have a much larger comb and waddle than the other 3. Is this a tell-tale sign that they are roo's? Also, is this really a cochin? I haven't found any pictures of cochins that look like mine. They are only 7 weeks old. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks a lot!! I can't quite figure out how to post pics yet, but once I do, I'll get some up.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Do you have bantam or standard?
    Did your chicks ever look like this (any color)
    [​IMG]

I think this is about 4 weeks old. She's a standard cochin. Girls can have different size wattles & combs. A good sign that they are roos is lots of "play fighting", but girls do it sometimes too.
    If you can figure out the pics that would help immensely.

3. 1st time chicken lover

Sep 29, 2009
  4. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I think this should help:
    [​IMG]

Hint.... when you post a link for a pic, just paste the link in your post, highlight the whole link and then click on the Img button [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BTW... one the black and whit ones, I think these are the ones you are asking about right?, I see 2 hens and a roo.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  5. 1st time chicken lover

Sep 29, 2009
    Thank you soooo much!! I think I've got it now! This forum is great for a lot of things...not just chickens![​IMG]

6. 1st time chicken lover

Sep 29, 2009
    If thats a roo, then I have 2 more that look exactly like that one. I was told they were all hens. What are the other tell-tale signs that they are roos? Is this gonna be a problem for me, having more than 1, also I don't want any fertilized eggs yet since this is my first time.

7. 1st time chicken lover

Sep 29, 2009
    [​IMG]This is just a close up of her

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  8. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I could be totally wrong though, wait for a real expert [​IMG] But when compared to the 2 others that one is more red in the face than the other two. I can't see any tell-tell signs in the feathers but that may be because of bad eyesight and a fuzzy monitor [​IMG]

9. 1st time chicken lover

Sep 29, 2009
    Well thanks for your info. I thought that they were roos also. I'm gonna just take them back to where I got them and ask, that's all I can do. Thanks a bunch:lol:

10. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    It kind of looks like a roo to me. But thats just me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by