Is it a rooster?

hcdeshazer

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2020
Weld County, Colorado
So me and my fiancé bought 8 chicks about 6 weeks ago and are loving it. We are seeing some signs of one of them becoming a rooster and I guess reading online only tells me so much. It’s always been slightly bigger than all the rest which I just chalked up to possibly being slightly older. Now redness is developing on its face and I believe spurs are sprouting. However there’s a couple things that are making me think I’m reading into it too much. It’s a Sapphire Gem and I’ve read that they can be sexed at hatching. And I’ve also read that hens (although uncommon) can develop spurs. Pictures of hens of this breed commonly have red in the face. I’ll attach the two pictures of him/her (one from the day we got it and one from this week) and a picture of the budding spurs. Thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• 96E6FEAE-4628-4DCE-A8B9-152C70BF19E2.jpeg
    96E6FEAE-4628-4DCE-A8B9-152C70BF19E2.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 87D91FC6-6CBB-4E8B-8162-E8E7B4AC7945.jpeg
    87D91FC6-6CBB-4E8B-8162-E8E7B4AC7945.jpeg
    573.8 KB · Views: 18
  • E28A9CFF-858C-41F1-B4A7-CD0788B57426.jpeg
    E28A9CFF-858C-41F1-B4A7-CD0788B57426.jpeg
    477.5 KB · Views: 16
That isn't that much red. More pink. Spur buds mean nothing. I have a hen with spurs and the spurs of a cockerel do not start to come in until 8 or 9 months and take quite some while to get long.
I'm seeing pullet but give it a few more weeks to know for certain.

So me and my fiancé bought 8 chicks about 6 weeks ago and are loving it. We are seeing some signs of one of them becoming a rooster and I guess reading online only tells me so much. It’s always been slightly bigger than all the rest which I just chalked up to possibly being slightly older. Now redness is developing on its face and I believe spurs are sprouting. However there’s a couple things that are making me think I’m reading into it too much. It’s a Sapphire Gem and I’ve read that they can be sexed at hatching. And I’ve also read that hens (although uncommon) can develop spurs. Pictures of hens of this breed commonly have red in the face. I’ll attach the two pictures of him/her (one from the day we got it and one from this week) and a picture of the budding spurs. Thoughts anyone?
Yeah! that looks like a rooster alright. Keeep me updated alright? Thanks!

Sort of tricky. If the combs have you guessing, The other signs I try looking for is seeing how the feathers are growing. Look at the saddle feathers. Are they rounded? Or are they starting to come out long and tapered? Sometimes you won't see the rooster feathers growing out right away, but maybe try sharing a picture of the full body if you can?
Both roosters and hens can grow spurs.. I have a small hen right now that has some serious spurs on her!

Back
Top Bottom