is it bad for your chickens to keep changing food

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
i have 11 hen and 1 roo
they are 6 months old 9 hens are laying
they started laying about a 2 months ago i put them on layer pellets they did not like the pellets so i put them on crumbles know i want to put them on all flock raiser thats all my tsc has is it bad to be changing your chickens food so much and can i just feed grower with oyster shells or should i feed all flock raiser

thanks to all help :fl:frow

Actually, a change in feed is one of the few "changes" chickens won't object to. Your decision to switch to an all flock feed for a mixed flock is wise.

I've noticed in my own flock that they hate the taste of layer feed. I pity the poor hens who are saddled with it for life.

i have 11 hen and 1 roo
they are 6 months old 9 hens are laying
they started laying about a 2 months ago i put them on layer pellets they did not like the pellets so i put them on crumbles know i want to put them on all flock raiser thats all my tsc has is it bad to be changing your chickens food so much and can i just feed grower with oyster shells or should i feed all flock raiser

thanks to all help :fl:frow
I feed my hens and roos layer and provide oyster shell free choice. An all flock would probably do just as well as its pretty much the same blend as layer but with less calcium. Chickens are not big fans of change, but they get over it. They may punish you by withholding eggs for a time during transition.

I don't think it's bad, especially when you're trying to figure out which feed is best for your flock and your situation.

I feed flock raiser and do not plan to ever feed my hens layer feed. My reasons for sticking with grower/starter and offering OS/grit separately are:
  • I don't plan to use supplemental lighting over the winter so they will need less calcium because they are laying less.
  • When they molt, they need higher protein and less calcium since again, they lay much less or stop altogether.
  • As they get older and lay less, again, they need less calcium and at this point I'm not planning to cull them for not laying.
  • At some point I will add to my flock and since I'm already feeding/starter grower, I won't have to buy different feeds.
So logic tells me that feeding layer feed and forcing calcium in their diet year round is not a good choice for my flock. I've changed brands of starter/grower on them about 4 times in 6 months with no ill effects. My flock is used to crumbles so I don't think I will try switching them to pellets. At some point though I do want to try fermented feed on them and in that case, I don't think it matters if you use pellets or crumbles, just that you're buying a quality feed with the amount of protein they are used to getting.

yes i gave them crumbles all there life i went to pellets they did not like pellets so i had to go to crumbles again

and what should you feed fermented for for should i feed it to my flock

yes i gave them crumbles all there life i went to pellets they did not like pellets so i had to go to crumbles again

and what should you feed fermented for for should i feed it to my flock
Fermented is a whole different ball game that is impractical for me. @KikisGirls can point you in the right direction to find the fermenting folks.

I also feed Flock Raiser to everyone! Oyster shell on the side for the laying hens, and it only comes in crumbles. I'd prefer pellets, but like the FR too much to change.
I also don't ferment the feed. Mary

Back
Top Bottom