Is it bad to feed your birds worm infested torillas

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by deannd, Oct 7, 2010.

1. deannd

deannd Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Marin County, California
    I found worms started hatching on tortillas that were in our drawer and considered feeding them to my chickens, but then thought the tortillas must also have worm eggs in them. Can chickens contract worms from eating worm infested tortillas?

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Won't hurt um, and no they will not get tortilla worms.[​IMG]

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    they eat things you don't even want to think about in the course of a day. the tortillas wont hurt. different kind of worms are the internal parasites.

5. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    If worms can kill chickens from them eating them Mine would have been Long Dead.Chickens as gross at it sound's will eat just about anything that moves,Worm's,Grub's,Beetle's , Bug's,Spider's, Maggot's etc.That's why a lot of People "Free Range" bird's.They find an Endless Natural assorment of food.Some people raise Live mealworm's for them. They will be fine.

6. deannd

deannd Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Marin County, California
    Thanks everyone. Just wanted to make sure. My chickens free range and I dig up field worms for them for fun, but the tortillas were a mangled mess and I just thought they are probably full of worm eggs. But, sound like it wont hurt.

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Your birds probably eat crickets and grass hoppers, which without cooking has to possibility of carrying at least one internal parasite I know (the tape worm). I imagine there are most likely more. I would probably feed it to them as long as it wasn't moldy. Some say moldy food isn't a big issue, but I know moldy feed will kill birds. So I tend to stay away from anything moldy.
    -Daniel

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I agree, I wouldn't worry about the worms but would check for mold.

9. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Any food item in my house that gets 'buggy' goes to the chickens. A little extra protein is good for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by