Is it bad to handle eggs too much?

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
I am on day 7 in my incubation I am learning and turning by hand. I have candled every night for the past 7 days to watch how the eggs change in just a matter of a day. Someone told me it was bad for me to handle the eggs so much? Is this true? and by me turning them by hand have i always messed up this hatch?

Nah, I don't think you have messed up....Just be sensible...surely you're not handling them with toxic waste on your hands....are ya?
wink.png
big_smile.png

Hens don't sit still for 21 days, so the eggs would not either. Just make sure your hands are clean and move them slow and gently. I can't get enough candling either!
clap.gif

Good I use that hand sanitizing stuff before and after everytime I touch them..LOL I think now though I will hold off on candling so much and wait till day 18 to candle again.

I handled my first hatch way too much and had 11 out of 12 hatch perfectly.
Now on my second hatch I'm not touching them at all and had to cull 6 out of 24 at day 7 when I candled, 2 infertiles and 4 blood rings.
But I do have to add that 12 of these are shipped eggs though half my culls came from my own 12 eggs.
So go figure!
hmm.png

Carolyn

I recently went to visit a friend in the hospital, and got a whole box of those blue latex gloves, I plan to use these when handling eggs for candling and when ever.

AL

Back
Top Bottom