Is it bad to handle eggs too much?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I am on day 7 in my incubation I am learning and turning by hand. I have candled every night for the past 7 days to watch how the eggs change in just a matter of a day. Someone told me it was bad for me to handle the eggs so much? Is this true? and by me turning them by hand have i always messed up this hatch?

2. Chickenteacher

Chickenteacher Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Patterson, Louisiana
    Nah, I don't think you have messed up....Just be sensible...surely you're not handling them with toxic waste on your hands....are ya?[​IMG][​IMG]

3. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    Hens don't sit still for 21 days, so the eggs would not either. Just make sure your hands are clean and move them slow and gently. I can't get enough candling either! [​IMG]

4. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    we just wash our hands before turning, no worries.

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Good I use that hand sanitizing stuff before and after everytime I touch them..LOL I think now though I will hold off on candling so much and wait till day 18 to candle again.

6. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I handled my first hatch way too much and had 11 out of 12 hatch perfectly.
    Now on my second hatch I'm not touching them at all and had to cull 6 out of 24 at day 7 when I candled, 2 infertiles and 4 blood rings.
    But I do have to add that 12 of these are shipped eggs though half my culls came from my own 12 eggs.
    So go figure! [​IMG]
    Carolyn

7. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I was wondering the same thing because I have a little egg who is moving and I just wanted to watch him grow. Cool! Thanks, -Jay

8. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i have found that the more i candle the eggs, the lower my hatch rate is. but i have seen others post they candle them each day

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I recently went to visit a friend in the hospital, and got a whole box of those blue latex gloves, I plan to use these when handling eggs for candling and when ever.

AL

10. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    I had one egg marked and always took that one out to candle to see the development in progress. That was 1 of 4 eggs that didn't hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by