Is it bad to Streighten your Hair?

User66184

Songster
9 Years
Aug 23, 2010
East Coast, Virgina
Me and my Friend were on the phone, I was Streightning my hair, She asked me what I was doing and when I told her She said that I shoulnt do That every day that it will Make my hair Dry and Fall out, Has anyone heard that It is bad to Streighten your Hair?! I do mine every day seince the First of the year, And my hair has dryed just a little bit but not that much, She has me worried now, Should i leave my hair down and let it curl or what?

-Nikky

Sounds like a dumb old myth that one shouldn't take seriously. I straighten my hair every day, and I'm not going bald. I'm sure you aren't either. But I will ask, how often and what do you wash your hair with? I hope this isn't too awkward to ask, but sometimes wither your shampoo/conditioner is too harsh on your hair or you wash your hair too much.

Last edited:
Quote:
yes and no...

it depends on the heat... and your hair... and the quality of products you are using.. and if your hair is coloured and over processed... so many factors

I straighten my hair 3X a week (week being 7 days) my hair is straight all the time.. I shower every day and use a shower cap and cool water to avoid steam that will make frizz. I also use high quality products and my flat iron is a professional one.. not one at the local department store that can over heat and scorch your hair or have hot spots requiring you to go over the same section many times. and may not have a high quality coating on the plates to protect your hair....

now with that said.. in the summer humidity.. in the wet weather like this spring there is no point straightening my hair cause its instant frizz so i do let it "recover" during that time

Quote:
your hair does not dry and fall out. its a common myth with dying/ drying/ curling etc. It can get dry and brittle and break off, but it takes ALOT for it to get to that point. like, bleaching it four times in a day. as long as you condition your hair daily, and have it trimmed every six weeks it will be absolutely completely fine
big_smile.png

Just use a really good conditioner, I use a spray from Tresemme that is specifically for protecting your hair from heat appliances...

ie, blowdryer, hot rollers, straighteners. It's like sunscreen for your hair

Damage from straighteners also depends on your hair type, thin fine hair is less heat tolerant then coarser thicker hair.

Quote:
you lose so much hair in one day regardless of what you do to it that its not even fathomable. the average person loses between 50 and 100 hairs per day. It would make sense that these would come out after you brush, as the teth of your brush would be weeding them out

Quote:
your hair does not dry and fall out. its a common myth with dying/ drying/ curling etc. It can get dry and brittle and break off, but it takes ALOT for it to get to that point. like, bleaching it four times in a day. as long as you condition your hair daily, and have it trimmed every six weeks it will be absolutely completely fine
big_smile.png

MORE MYTHS: eating choclate does not cause acne
swallowing gum does not take seven years to digest.

Back
Top Bottom