Is it better to apron a run or to bury the fencing?

Quote:
This is the best reply. I'm not sure why anyone would want to bury the skirt any deeper than necessary. You could just lay it on the ground and let grass/weeds grow up through it.

But that to me is the real question: how deep is necessary? What I've read is that when digging critters hit an underground barrier, they just tend to try digging deeper. So you've got to imagine at which point a predator will give up digging. I would expect that is not a constant, but differs according to the individual predator, its experience, how hungry it is, how motivated it is (young to feed), etc. All those variables make me feel nervous about the buried wire approach.

For us, it was a nonissue for another reason: we have heavy, clay soil. I hate even to have to dig a hole to plant something.

I am about to get started building my run and coop. Does anyone just cover the entire bottom of the run with welded wire instead of putting on an apron or digging a trench? I was going to dig out the run a couple of inches, lay the welded wire and fasten to the sides, then fill with sand. With this way it doesn't matter how far a predator digs there is no way they are getting in when they come up to the bottom of the run. But my run is only 10' x 6'. Are there any problems with doing it this way?

Quote:
I'm in the same position and was considering doing exactly that. An apron isn't an option because the run is wedged between a shed and fences. Attaching wire to the bottom of the run seemed like the best option but I'm interested in what the more experienced builders have to say too.

By the way, this is my first post on BYC! I've been lurking for a while as I'm building my first coop and run. It should be done this week and chickens are on their way soon after that! Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences which have helped take the guesswork out of this process.

I'm not familiar with welded wire, but chose not to use wire under my chicken yard. I want them to be able to scratch, dig and bathe without hitting wire. But that's just me....

The wire would be under about 3" of sand - are the chickens still going to be hitting the wire? Never kept chickens before so am not sure how much they dig.

Quote:
Maybe not in the first week of being in the run (although they might) but pretty surely eventually. My teensy weensy bantams (all under a 1 3/4 pounds) have managed to dig down 3 inches. I can only assume that a standard hen, who's so much bigger and has much stronger legs, would be able to accomplish as much.

Honestly, if you can use an apron, I really wouldn't see why you would want to go to the trouble of digging up the whole interior surface of your run to lay down wire, then cover it up with sand. The chickens will take care of everything growing in the run in fairly short order, you'll be down to the dirt, and then you can put in your layer of sand.

Quote:
I was also considering this approach. I already have a groundhog issue, one that has made it's home under the floor in our barn's tack room. And I've at least heard some coyotes, and have seen red-tail hawks and other pests roaming our land. I planned to put the coop next to the barn, but I'm afraid the groundhog would dig it's way in. I really don't want to dig a trench since the coop would be just the right size that it will be able to come with us when/if we move. And I'm afraid a skirt wouldn't be too effective either. But, I could be wrong, lol.

Quote:
Good heavens yes. I'd say probably within days. My chickens EASILY dig 12" or more for dusting holes, plus they are always shuffling the ground from one end of the run to the other (let's make this end lower -- ok, now lets go to the dirt piled at the other end and make a hole *there* -- etc)

I would not want a full wire floor unless it was under at LEAST 12" of sand or whatever, and even then I'd expect they'd run into it *sometimes* and just keep fingers crossed they didn't hurt thmselves on it.

It is way way way easier, and for all but the tiniest runs also much *cheaper*, to do an apron.

The only reason I can see for a full wire floor is if you have illusions of keeping rats out. And frankly rats will likely find a way in eventually anyhow.

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
I was also considering this approach. I already have a groundhog issue, one that has made it's home under the floor in our barn's tack room. And I've at least heard some coyotes, and have seen red-tail hawks and other pests roaming our land. I planned to put the coop next to the barn, but I'm afraid the groundhog would dig it's way in. I really don't want to dig a trench since the coop would be just the right size that it will be able to come with us when/if we move. And I'm afraid a skirt wouldn't be too effective either. But, I could be wrong, lol.

welcome-byc.gif

I just read up on Wikipedia on Groundhogs... we dont have them here. They are much like squirrels in what they eat so if they did get in the coop they would just be going after the feed. Very interesting critters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog

I think their digging might be more of a problem for your barn. You might talk to some wild live management agency and see if they are relocatable.... You know... Live trap... We have Ground Squirrels here and OMG they can completely collaps a concrete porch.

Back
Top Bottom