Is it cheaper to buy a used pet taxi?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Smartie_Pants, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I need a pet taxi big enough to fit a full grown cat. I priced new ones and they are between 23 and 30 dollars. I don't really want to travel to pick one up, and I don't know if you can ship pet taxi's. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I am sure it varies from place to place, but up here, filthy chewed half-broken ones at thrift stores go for about 1/2-3/4 the price of a brand new one. Making the new one a much better buy (since it is sturdier and will last a lot longer)

It really just depends what you can find in your area. If you see one at a garage sale in great condition for $5 then, I mean, obviously buy it [​IMG] But that may or may not happen in a useful timeframe. You just have to see.

$25-30 isn't much compared to any of the other costs of owning pets... [​IMG]

I imagine they can be mailordered (they break down into nesting halves, so the box is not as big as you might think) but the shipping might negate any price difference.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Well, the reason I need one is there is an experimental program in my area I've signed up for. They are fixing cats for 30 dollars and giving rabies shots for 8. At the cheapest vet's office I could find, its 50-65 dollars for fixing and 14 for a rabies shot. We have to drop them off for transport on the 21st, and other than than I probably won't use it very much at all. The cats were stray babies that have become pets and live outside in our building and porch.

I think I just might try to find another one to borrow. I have a friend who has one, but I'm having two fixed, so I need a second pet taxi.

4. Hi! Ask on FreeCycle / Craiglist and explain why you need the pet carriers. You might get some replies.
    There may be a rescue org in your area that would let you borrow carriers for that purpose.
    Good luck! It is a good thing you are trying to do.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I guess trying to fit two cats in one wouldn't work?? I have a big one, and it fits two kittens very comfortable

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    More than likely you will need a carrier for each cat. We have a low cost spay/neuter group that you drop the dog/cat off in the morning and pick them up in the evening. Each animal has to be in their own carrier. I would see if you could borrow carriers if you don't want to buy any.

7. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I'm always on the lookout for pet carriers, I've found cat carriers for $5 at the thrift store because they were filthy. Cleaned up really good.
    Found a few on the side of the road. If I can't use it I find someone who needs a larger one and swap the big ones for little ones. And since I do rescue work I've had a few mysteriously appear on my front porch, those I normally give to people adopting a first time cat from me.

Keep your eye open, you never know what you'll find.

8. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    You could look on CraigsList - I see them on my local CL just about every day. Maybe put up a notice on the bulletin board at work that you need to borrow one for a couple of days? Join your local FreeCycle group and see if anyone has one they don't need any more. Or, you could stop in at your local vet's office and see if you can buy one of their cardboard carriers. They don't last long but are cheap and if you only need it once, that might work.

9. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    wish you were closer, I would loan you ours. I have about 5 small pet crates!

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Luck finding some.

Just wanted to note - when you get one if you have cats - WASH IT AT A CAR WASH FIRST.

NEVER bring a used crate or pet taxi, straight into the home, disinfect it first.

Wash it somewhere else, bring it home, leave it outside - disinfect it again.

Using used crates without disinfection for your own animals can have very bad results. FELV and Parvo, coccidia and other diseases are common.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by