Is it common for a broody hen to be out multiple times?

Chickenheadmate

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Mansfield, TX
She normally comes out in the morning.
I peaked my head out (Almost 4 pm) the door and notice the wrong head peeking out the nest. (One of my layers) The broody was outside, not sure if she stayed out since the AM or if the broody took another break since it's super hot here in Texas.

...some broody hens are opposite and will nearly kill their fool selves.:)
Indeed. I had to manually evict my mama 2x a day!

Be careful letting other hens into the box. That same mama hen went from 8 eggs to 4 from other hens breaking her eggs. I blocked off her nest box, knowing that she didn't want to leave anyways. I put a small container of food and water nearby, just in case, but I still had to evict her twice a day. She hatched two sweet babies! The other two were apparently non-fertile.

It is a hormonal thing, she does it to advertise she's making babies.
It keeps others away from her and her nest and signals no more nookie to the roosters.
Basically she's warning the world.:)
She's not puffed up, but she is making the broody noise.
What's the point in walking around puffed up and making the broody noise, anyway?

I've seen a broody hen leave her nest twice a day and stay off for over an hour each time. She even hung around the rooster and other hens for a while. That surprised me. It was hot weather and she had a good hatch.

What's the point in walking around puffed up and making the broody noise, anyway?

My guess is that she is telling the rooster to leave her alone, she's not in the mood for romance, and telling the other hens to not bother her.

I've seen a broody hen leave her nest twice a day and stay off for over an hour each time. She even hung around the rooster and other hens for a while. That surprised me. It was hot weather and she had a good hatch.

My guess is that she is telling the rooster to leave her alone, she's not in the mood for romance, and telling the other hens to not bother her.

Her hanging around the other hens is what worried me, honestly.

Back
Top Bottom