Is it dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by truckerswife, Mar 23, 2009.

1. truckerswife

truckerswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Muscovy egg day 35 yesterday (Sunday). Had been tapping and peeping since Saturday morning. No noise this morning so I held it to my ear and heard faint tapping no peeping.

Just checked this afternoon no cracks , no noise ..I checked with flashlight to see if any movement...didnt see any.

Is she dead? Do they go from being noisy and active to quiet and over due by a day.

I think she died today but am hoping not especially after I have heard her little voice.

Can she still hatch...maybe just resting?

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Im sorry for your dillima , I am afraid I have no answers. I hope someone who knows more will answer you soon.
    If no One does and you really think the baby is gonna die you could perhaps make a small hole in the end with the air cell to give oxegen and to see if you can see movement . be shure to keep up the humidity . Good luck.

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    During the hatch they get very tired and sleep in between. I don't know how many days it takes for Muscovys take to hatch but I would let it be for a while. Have you spritzed the shell? I understand that duck eggs need additional moisture on the shell. You could also place a warm damp paper towel under the egg.

4. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i would poke a hole where the air cell is, just to make sure she gets enough air. make sure to keep the humidity up. i hope she's okay and she hatches!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by