Is it depression or what??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by s6bee, May 9, 2008.

1. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I am a bit concerned about my 5 hens. They are not eating as much as they did just a few days ago. I have put thier typical stuff out for them to scratch, and most of the day has gone by and they have hardly touched it. They also aren't going through the feeder food either. They are in a run with just enough space ( plan on building a bigger one ). They seem fine in every other way. Laying eggs every day, and energetic, sunbathing,etc. Do I need to worry? What can I do to "entertain" them?

2. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    How about the Chicken Dance? [​IMG]

3. s6bee

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Cute [​IMG]
    Should I be worried though or do Chickens go through a phase were they don't eat as much? I've never had them through a summer so do they eat less than in winter months?

4. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't really know the answer to your question, but I suspect that in general they would eat more in winter to stay warm. Do they free-range?

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I don't know, I'd just watch them. Ours don't eat as much right now, but they free range. Maybe yours are eating grass or bugs?

6. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    My chicks are only 5 1/2 weeks old, but I have noticed that on colder days they eat more and on warmer days they eat less.

They always drink a lot of water. But I have also noticed that the cooler the water is, the more they drink (not cold water [​IMG] ).

7. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine have been eating a lot of bugs and grass and weeds and such, so they are eating a bit less, I think. That's probably what's up with yours. I wouldn't worry. There's a lot more to eat now. [​IMG]

8. s6bee

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    They only get an hour of free ranging time at the end of the day, so I'm not sure how much they are getting out of that?

9. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Chickens love to take a dust bath. If your birds don't free range and aren't able to make their own favorite place to take a bath, then I would consider making them a dusting place. It provides good health for the flock as well as hours of time spent dusting.

One would not think this a big deal, however it makes a real difference as well as a healthier flock. We all want that eh?

bigzio

10. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I can't wait to get mine into the coop today so I can fix them a dust-bath bowl. They love bathing in their fresh shavings in the brooder, but I don't have room in there for a separate bowl. It's so much fun to watch. Try hanging some tinkly wind chimes where they can reach them. I did that in the brooder and they love it.

I didn't mean to make light of your situation, but I just couldn't resist the thought of you dancing for your chickens with them all lined up on their roosts like bleachers. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by