Is it even possible one of these 3 is a cockerel?

Their coloring is quite dark, so I also say all pullets. The males are significantly lighter, as seen in the photo below (not mine, just from a duck duck go search). It’s an autosexing breed, so if you bought them as pullets from a hatchery that’s likely what they are.

View attachment 3600958

My Cuckoo Marans are younger than yours, but one is extremely alert and watchful, constantly challenging the other girls and generally looking quite fierce. She’s not the largest in my mixed flock, but she’s the boss. It’s funny to watch her stamp her little booted feet and charge at the others like an angry bull. I’m not surprised that yours is so bold! I handled mine constantly as a chick and still do, so she trusts me, but she was the hardest to win over. Yours sounds more aggressive to humans than mine, but I definitely think she’s a girl :)
Ok then - that’s what I thought - all girls. This particular one has taken on the responsibilities of a rooster, which I’m glad since I don’t have any. And I’ll get some eggs out of that deal 😂. One thing I regret is that I was a little shy to handle them as much as I should have. I fed them from my hand a lot. A couple had pasty butt and I had to handle them to clean that up, which I know wasn’t exactly enjoyable! I’ll have to make it up to them with bribery treats. ☺️

Back
Top Bottom