Is it even possible one of these 3 is a cockerel?

Ometra

Songster
Jan 26, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I have three French Cuckoo Marans who are 16 weeks old. I thought by now it would be perfectly obvious which sex they are. To me (newbie) they look like girls, but the behavior of one makes me think it’s gotta be male.
At 16 weeks anyone think one is possibly a roo?

Attachments

• IMG_3820.jpeg
    IMG_3820.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 105
I don’t know this breed so can’t comment on gender.
What behaviors are you seeing that make you wonder? Flocks will have a pecking order so there will always be one queen bee, and she will make sure the rest know it. She may be the first to food, or protective of it til she has her fill, may chest bump or pick on the others, etc.

I don’t know this breed so can’t comment on gender.
What behaviors are you seeing that make you wonder? Flocks will have a pecking order so there will always be one queen bee, and she will make sure the rest know it. She may be the first to food, or protective of it til she has her fill, may chest bump or pick on the others, etc.
She’s actually the opposite with the rest - she steps back to let the other hens eat, but keeps a VERY close eye on me and my hand as they eat from it. When I hold my handful of treats in front of her(him?), she’ll give my hand a decent and moderately painful bite!! Also, she/he often rushes me when I approach. I have see her do this since chickhood.

Attachments

• IMG_6339.jpeg
    IMG_6339.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 42
All girls.
So I can assume there’s one female whose taken on the role of a rooster??

Like she steps back and watches the other hens eat, keeping a VERY close eye on me and my hand as they eat from it. When I hold my handful of treats in front of her(him?), she’ll give my hand a decent and moderately painful bite!! Also, she/he often rushes me when I approach. I have see her do this since they were chicks.

She’s actually the opposite with the rest - she steps back to let the other hens eat, but keeps a VERY close eye on me and my hand as they eat from it. When I hold my handful of treats in front of her(him?), she’ll give my hand a decent and moderately painful bite!! Also, she/he often rushes me when I approach. I have see her do this since chickhood.
That one does give off a very roo like vibe in this picture lol 😆 She may just be very sassy, but she looks so far like a pullet!

Their coloring is quite dark, so I also say all pullets. The males are significantly lighter, as seen in the photo below (not mine, just from a duck duck go search). It’s an autosexing breed, so if you bought them as pullets from a hatchery that’s likely what they are.

696D717F-800C-4FB5-95EB-C7D19AF26986.jpeg

My Cuckoo Marans are younger than yours, but one is extremely alert and watchful, constantly challenging the other girls and generally looking quite fierce. She’s not the largest in my mixed flock, but she’s the boss. It’s funny to watch her stamp her little booted feet and charge at the others like an angry bull. I’m not surprised that yours is so bold! I handled mine constantly as a chick and still do, so she trusts me, but she was the hardest to win over. Yours sounds more aggressive to humans than mine, but I definitely think she’s a girl :)

All pullets! At that age a cockerel would have obvious pointed saddle and hackle feathers, and big comb and wattles.
Behaviour really doesn't mean much at all with chickens, partially at that kind of age.

Back
Top Bottom