Is it fine to feed chicks over 10 weeks old chick starter?

VeryHappyHens

Songster
Jan 17, 2021
Hi so this girl said that its bad to feed chicks over 10 weeks medicated chick starter feed and that it does not have enough nutrition. Is it safe to feed my teenage chicks medicated chick starter?

What is the medicine in that medicated chick starter? It's hard to know if "medicine" is safe if you don't know what medicine you are talking about. Most medicated feed sold in the US is medicated with Amprolium. If it is Amprolium then it is safe to feed your teenagers. Some medicated feed sold in the US uses medicines other than Amprolium. I don't know if those are safe or not. If you are in Mozambique, Fiji, Ireland or elsewhere I don't know what is sold there as medicated chick starter.

If you look on the label you should see an analysis that tells you what the percentage of essential nutrients are. They should be real close to the same for Flock Raiser and Chick Starter, medicated or not.

I don't know how much medicated Chick Starter you have left. If it is medicated with Amprolium I'd finish feeding that bag and then switch to Flock Raiser. No need for it to go to waste.

I feed all my chickens of all ages and genders organic starter/grower and I keep an extra feeder with oyster shells. I found the hens need the extra protein. I do not know if the medicated part is bad for them. I keep my chickens as organic as possible so I have never fed them medicated feed.

I feed all my chickens of all ages and genders organic starter/grower and I keep an extra feeder with oyster shells. I found the hens need the extra protein. I do not know if the medicated part is bad for them. I keep my chickens as organic as possible so I have never fed them medicated feed.
Well im glade to know that my chicks are okay. Hopefully medicated feeds okay.

Back
Top Bottom