1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it illegal to sell eggs that are not certified?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farmer Mike S, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Farmer Mike S

Farmer Mike S Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Glen Mills, PA
    I got some extra eggs I got to sell , and I don't get enough eggs to even consider getting certified. But I'm wondering if its legal to sell my eggs to people without being certified?

Also if I do sell my eggs and someone gets sick (my eggs are safe but you never know...), can I be sued?

2. Farmer Mike S

Farmer Mike S Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Glen Mills, PA
    I live in pa by the way

3. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    I sell mine in TN, $3/doz. Farm Fresh and have most bring me cartons to fill. I do wash mine and sanitize for selling..

4. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    I think laws vary from state to state, but as long as you are a small operation, and you are selling from your home/farm, you do not need to be licensed/certified. I do not know anything about the legal side, but I do imagine that if someone was to get sick, they could sue you- maybe if you include a disclosure ( ex- you are buying these eggs at your own risk, from your knowledge they are healthy, but you can't be 100% certain) this could help protect you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by