Is it illegal to sell locally without NPIP?

I'm from MO. I know someone in MO on Facebook that has to have a closed flock because of testing (not NPIP but because of trying to find out why so many deaths). It just means that they cannot sell birds, and if they buy any, they are taking a risk that the new birds won't make it (currently their remaining flock as an immunity that's not killing them outright, but chicks hatched or other new birds of any age, will more than likely die). Now, with that said, I don't know how the state will enforce the closed flock. I believe they still have their chickens. I do not know what their plans are: keep what they have until they die then totally clean house/yard and start over? or what?

NPIP testing will guarantee that your birds are healthy for selling or showing, at least at the time of testing. If anyone wants to buy your chickens, it's a guarantee that you can offer. As was pointed out, you can sell chickens without being NPIP cetified, but the buyer has to at least be aware of the fact so they can take proper precautions.
I haven't been NPIP tested, so I could buy (and have bought) chickens that aren't certified. I kept them separated from the rest of my flock for a month (but I didn't keep my free ranging flock from visiting the newbies and that could have been disasterous if any illnesses had been present).
Good Luck on your decision, what ever you decide.

CG

Back
Top Bottom