Is it illegal to sell your processed meat????

I called our local USDA office and they have no idea. They told me to call Department of Health. I have been calling them. The phone just rings.
sad.png

I know we are in different countrys but a way around all the paperwork and red tape is to sell them live birds and offer to take them in with yours to get precessed... have them put into separate orders so that if there is any question as to ownership they will have a receipt in their name

kuntrygirl I am both a farmer and a rancher. We raise Hereford cattle and we keep back a certain number of steers to raise, butcher and sell. Getting to be a pretty good market for that.
We also sell 4-H steers to those who want them. 4-H kids get first pick and market price; we are not club calvers.

I also raise cornish cross meat birds to sell to friends. they complain about the stuff in the stores.
Restarted my layers this year so no eggs yet. I will sell them to friends and family. I make my buyers a deal, they save the cartons I sell the eggs at a $1 a dozen. I was selling close to 6 dozen in a single day. lots of customers at one place.

Here you go:

Louisiana’s Meat Inspection Law requires any person, firm, or corporation engaged in the slaughter of livestock and poultry, the processing of meat, poultry, meat food products, and/or poultry food products that will be used as food for humans must apply for inspection with the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry’s Federal & State Meat Programs.

http://www.ldaf.state.la.us/portal/.../ApplyingforInspection/tabid/294/Default.aspx

Quote:
No problem, you are correct, every state is different...However, it looks like it may apply to the OP's situation.

Last edited:
Quote:
http://www.ldaf.state.la.us/portal/.../ApplyingforInspection/tabid/294/Default.aspx

Thanks for finding the link for me Bear Foot Farm. It would have taken me the next 3 months to find this information.
smile.png

Looks like Louisiana folks can't sell our own meat without applying for inspection, etc. Bummer.
sad.png
Oh well.

Thanks again everyone for their input. Interesting as to what other states allow.

Do you have a state department of agriculture? I'd call them, as they're usually the ones that monitor it. I know that each state is different, but rabbits can be sold on farm and the processing is considered a courtesy.

Back
Top Bottom