Is it in my head- or do I have a sick chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ticks, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I just got some moer chicks from TSC, I got 3 Anconas and they aren't acting normal. They are essentially Leghorns, so I tought they should be bouncing off the walls. They just sit there with their eyes closed and rock back and forth. Occasionally they will fall to the ground and shake with their leg. Is it because they aren't stable on the pine chips or do I have a problem?

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Have they been eating and drinking? Do they ever seem to "wake up" and act normally at all? Are they warm enough? If all they're doing is rocking with their eyes closed and falling over, that certainly doesn't sound normal...I'd separate them from any other peeps you might have...just in case.

3. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    You might try some Nutri-drench in their water - it is more effective than sugar water and has many trace minerals and minerals to boos their sytem

4. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    I would say they are seriously deficient in
    Vit B complex and Vit E
    you will have to take and make a wet mash for them
    for three chicks make
    9 tsp of ry crumbles
    18 tsp of milk any kind
    1tbsp of plain unflavored yoguart
    and to this add the B complx pill crushed in dry tbsp then add to mix
    also take a 100 mg of Vit E capsule
    clip end off the capsule andadd to the mix

Mix this whole mix well so medication is thru put the whole mix.

now see that they eat it all by you putting them over to the dish
    in 20-30 minutes

also to their water 2 qts mix 2 tsp of apple cider vineager
    daily
    this will help get their gut flora regulated so their system will take it in and utilize it

Do this for one week daily and clean out wet feeder and restock dry crumbles

then 5 days 2nd week
    4 days third week
    3 days fifth week
    2 days the sixth week
    and 1 day aweek for several months
    then they should not have the disorder

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They may simply be stressed. Encourage eating and drinking. A tbsp or so of sugar in the water for a day or two might help. If they are reluctant to eat the starter feed, try moistening a little of it. Might try a little yogurt mixed with starter. Double check your temp. If it looks like they are trying to eat the pine, cover it with paper towels for a day or two. Might need to offer food/water by dropper a few times to get them going.

Good luck!

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Thanks guys, I think they were jsut a little shaken up from the trip, they all survived the night, ate, and are drinking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by