Is it just me, or is the market flooded with BCMs...

crystalchik

Songster
12 Years
Jan 15, 2008
Central Florida
Is it just me, or does NO one want Black Copper Marans any more? I have about 6 or 7 pairs that I have been trying to sell for months, and I rarely get any calls and havent had one buy. Or am I doing something wrong? I have birds staight off of Bev's line (but it seems like everyone does now) and I cant get anything for them? I need to move them & are trying to sell them to the general public...what should I ask? Thay lay gorgeous dark eggs.

Any insight into this situation is greatly appreciated, I would love to hear that *I* am doing something wrong because I am getting very much overwhelmed because I cant afford these giants any more...they are eating me out of house and home!
tongue.png

im in the market for BCM eggs right now, lol. and finding that they are harder than you think to aquire! if i were closer... i would take your girls for you! sorry you are having issues!

I guess it depends where you are. I would love tohave them and have trouble finding good ones.

heres my take on it-

a friend of mine breeds BC and Cuckoo Marans. She has beautiful birds. . . I have about six that I got as chicks from her. The rooster ( yes, lucked out and only had one!) has too much brown on his chest. I asked her how she gets her breeding roo's.... she said it takes upwards of 40 to find a really really nice one that is worth replacing her current roo. Thus leaving 39 nice, but sub par by standard for her program chickens. I think that they may process their culls over there- I'm not 100 percent sure- but in any event she's not breeding them!

now take the every day ( or beginner) breeder- like me!- I have 5 BCM pullets and one (not to standard) roo. I plan on culling him eventually but for now he's in my olive egger pen. Had I put him in with my BCM pullets I'd be producing more and more not to standard chicks- who would need to be sold. As chicks you can't really tell if they will be to standard or not.

So i guess the short of it is market is flooded with about 70 % birds needing to be culled- if you wanted to actually BETTER the lines and breed to standard. 30% of the birds are nice.

I don't care who's lines they come from- if you breed enough birds with faults, you're bringing the quality in your particular strain of the line down.

And where is central florida? anywhere near Crestveiw?

Central Fl. covers a large aera ,, may be interested in a trio and make trips to Belleview about once a month . I wnnt to the personal page and it said to go to the BCM page for more info ,, couldn't find a BCM page. So email me about location and price and age of the BCM's.

Quote:
Did you try listing your birds on Craigs List? Also, up here in my area of West Michigan there's a weekly flea market, farm animal trade/sale that always has chickens. Maybe there's something like that in your area?

Oh, how I wish I could find a few nice pullets/hens near me.. I paid 25$ for each pullet, I would have purchased more but that's all she had.. They aren't show quality, just wanted a few really dark eggs.. Check w/ your AG dept and see if you have a publication that excepts ads for Agri related items.. That might be a good starting point for selling them. Here in NC it's called the Agricultural Review.. I know SC and GA each have one...

Back
Top Bottom