Is it just me?

Quote: Mine says I'm up to date: Version 47.0.2526.111 m

Click for larger: ("let me choose" option)

Okay, I checked the bottom "let me choose" radio button. And now the disable/enable icon is showing up to the left of the Bookmarks star on the address window. We'll she what happens, although I'm lagging right now as I'm typing.,

Hysterical! The flash blocker says, "Continue blocking?", I say "yes" and the stupid video is still running in the lower portion of the sidebar. Stupid computers....
So whatever is allowing that video ad to run isn't the Chrome FlashPlayer Plug-in!

Then, the movie camera icon in the ad window itself let me say "never run video ads", and type a reason why. I've done that once before, but it didn't stop the next page from running one. Now that I've responded to the video on this page, everything is working great.

Most of the video ads on this Forum don't have that movie camera icon/option, however.

Last edited:
O.K., you mentioned, upthread, that you had clicked on the ad itself - and told it not to play - this is usually a way to collect info on the "clicker" by the "clickee" (not much of a neologism, but it will do). BYC has been playing nice, in Chrome, here, for well over a year (no ad blocker installed). However, I never click/or roll over any ad on any website, except for those in the BYC SPONSORS SHOWCASE at the bottom of BYC Pages, or VIEW OUR SPONSORS on R side of pages (usually just below the offending video ads). If interested in some other product I will go directly to that website, myself. All but the BYC SPONSOR ads are to be considered as suspect containers of "trash". Please check out the BYC sponsors, this will help attract other sponsors! When your typing is lagging badly press the following keys simultaneously, ONCE, (Ctrl-Alt-Delete), one of the options that appears is Task Manager - start it. At this point you'll see the following columns: CPU/Memory/Disk/Network. Click on PROCESSES, check if there isn't some program/process that is eating up 70-90%/ then click on DETAILS/CPU - this will give a detailed list of "consumers" of CPU (click on CPU to bring the highest % to top of list - is constantly updating. Next: click on PERFORMANCE/Open RESOURCE MONITOR: this will give a better view of cycle eating BS (click on screenshot for full size): However, quick and dirty: Download and run "free" CCleaner: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download Download and run Malwarebytes (Malware Cleanup): https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download . After completing, restart machine. Please provide URL of ads if this continues. I reviewed the following thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1070415/video-ads-causing-typing-lag It sure looks to me like a way for the ad creators to get the end user to click on Do Not Run video and thereby insert a cookie to collect more info. (these guys will try anything - it's not like the NSA - these clowns only want to SELL and the more info on the "client" the better to target that specific user - and the "ad agency" can tell THEIR client that many have clicked!! Buy more ads! (don't you feel special? lag, lag, lag?). One can always complain directly to the Company whose ad gives one trouble... Since I started this reply, with several instances of BYC open, I've had two video ads served, but no interference in loading/typing at all. But, everyone is being "pushed personally", i.e., ads I see aren't those you do, and sometimes "Badly Coded and get it through the series of tubes the soonest!!!"

Last edited:
Ivan, that was an excellent tutorial.
I have been running CCleaner for about 6 years. Another program I find some useful features in is Glary Utilities. I also rely upon Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (free) program. I CCleaner to manage my cookies, and not clean the ones I trust on sites I frequent.
BTW, Task Manager has a 'hot key' on my Task Bar in my system. I watch it like a hawk! It helps me identify and disable extraneous Start Up programs/services.
I've been playing with these confounded desktop contraptions since 1985. My first Windows OS was v3.11. Hahaha. Boy, I miss the days of DOS! <grin>

Like Ivan, I can't recommend CCleaner enough! When you run the program, and look at all the "cookies" that have been downloaded on your machine to track your behavior on-line, it will blow your mind.
Malwarebytes I feel is another essential tool. "Malware" is not a virus, or trojan. They are programs that gather information about your browsing habits, can even hijack your system, and generally degrade the performance of your system while running in the background under false file names. Literally malware means "bad program", and MWB is highly rated and recommended by professionals.

On the other side of that coin, we could all switch to Linux OS and be done with all these "cleaners". <wink>

Ivan, that was an excellent tutorial. I have been running CCleaner for about 6 years. Another program I find some useful features in is Glary Utilities. I also rely upon Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (free) program. I CCleaner to manage my cookies, and not clean the ones I trust on sites I frequent. BTW, Task Manager has a 'hot key' on my Task Bar in my system. I watch it like a hawk! It helps me identify and disable extraneous Start Up programs/services. I've been playing with these confounded desktop contraptions since 1985. My first Windows OS was v3.11. Hahaha. Boy, I miss the days of DOS! Like Ivan, I can't recommend CCleaner enough! When you run the program, and look at all the "cookies" that have been downloaded on your machine to track your behavior on-line, it will blow your mind. Malwarebytes I feel is another essential tool. "Malware" is not a virus, or trojan. They are programs that gather information about your browsing habits, can even hijack your system, and generally degrade the performance of your system while running in the background under false file names. Literally malware means "bad program", and MWB is highly rated and recommended by professionals. On the other side of that coin, we could all switch to Linux OS and be done with all these "cleaners".
Sorry, can never "assume" competency in these matters so I go a bit overboard (for all I know the member has a "somewhat dead" capacitor on their motherboard causing "irreproducible errors" - the worst kind). Used to use Glary registry cleaner on the XP machine. Another free "cleaner" that has been a nice adjunct to the CC is JetClean from Bluesprig (free): http://www.bluesprig.com/jetclean.html Developer Tools under Chrome's "other tools" when ad is playing is another way to ferret out the actual offending "ad agency". As far as Linux? Wife wouldn't like it... However, even she gets frustrated with Microsoft's new "auto updating", i.e., machine getting sketchy about loading pages, etc.? Well, it's probably been updated and wants to be restarted - Bingo, problems eliminated - until the next update. Oh, machines, here: XP/Vista Ultimate/8.1/10 (win3.1 for work groups was the worst, IMHO - getting less irksome, ever since). Oh, go to Startup files and see what is being loaded - sure there's something to kill, if you haven't, already. Like I mentioned, before - post the URL up for Nifty so he can forward to techs at hosting site. Good luck!

Well, there aren't enough of us GFM/PPM's to haul the freight, so running the ads helps defray the cost of running BYC, so there's that.
I usually prefer to hit a donate button on forums, rather than have subscriptions. I haven't come across a donate/paypal button yet. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, or the owners should install one.

Quote: I usually use ACE Utilities to manage my startup. It retains everything from the first edit on so you can turn stuff back on when needed. Too many others, like Glary and even Windows, hides what you've disabled once you exit, and you have to go hunting if you want it back. I ended up doing a clean install of Win10, and tweaked my Startup, and now my boot time is down to 25 sec.!
Another tool you might want to check out is JRT (Junkware Removal Tool). It was an open source program until it was coveted by Mozilla and bought up. Runs the same, and maybe better under Mozilla's supervision. The only problem I've had with JRT is it clean EVERYTHING superfoulus, including most of your Task Bar shortcuts. Needs a reboot.

Install adblocker and adblocker plus into chrome. It's free. I have zero ads.
I'll check that out again. Heard both pros & cons about those plug-ins. Can't remember right now (chronic CRS) what the problems were, but they were enough to discourage me at the time.

I usually prefer to hit a donate button on forums, rather than have subscriptions. I haven't come across a donate/paypal button yet. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, or the owners should install one.
And strangely enough, with some really rabid fans, or philanthropists often the donations are more than a subscription would be. Win-win for everyone. Subscriptions are usually kept down to where (supposedly) anyone can afford them. Donations have no limit.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom