Is it just me?

roosterjerry

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Rineyville,KY
I'm sorry if I offend anyone but in a way I guess this is just a pat on the back for all the great coops I've seen here. What is everyone made of money?? I have to scrape up the little bit of cash I can afford just to feed my flock and am grateful for the eggs that I eat daily. Some of you spend a ton of cash just to build/buy a cool coop. Some of the coops I've seen here are better than my house that buy the way I rent I can not buy one. I don't know much about show chickens or why a chicken might need a condo or a big screen TV but I do know that there are way too many people that have no home or food or much of anything to spend so much cash on chickens. I know that it's your money and feel free to spend it the way you choose. I can say that I bought my flock for one dollar each one hen and seven pullets. My coop was built from scraps that I found. I sell eggs to feed my flock and give them scraps from the kitchen. They all seem healthy and happy. I just can't see why all the money for a few eggs or chickens when you could buy a lot more for the same cash

I wonder what is the "alot more for the same cash" are you referring to. Does it really matter what ppl spend their hard earned dollars on? It's their money correct? People take pride in the aesthetic quality they can provide for their properties and their is nothing wrong with that.

I guess its sort of the way different people are about horses... some just kick them out in the pasture, and they're fine, and some put them in million dollar stables - each has different reasoning I suppose, but I don't think it's a popularity contest, or a contest at all, especially here. I think that everyone here loves keeping their flock, some are in it for more than the eggs... I don't think there is anything more right or wrong with building a tajmacoop than there is selling eggs to feed a flock. I hope you are inspired or entertained by it all, and not intimidated or put off, because the spirit of it all is so deeply kind-hearted, as are so so many of the people who post their creations. I think its wonderful that you keep your flock in your manner - it means you enjoy them, and it might make someone else see that it's not a complicated endeavor, perhaps empowering them to jump in also.

hugs.gif

You've never seen my coops.

They are made from scraps. Junk. Refuge.

I have $0 invested, except for the screws and nails.

My coops are watertight, have plenty of ventilation, are warm enough in the winter and are predator proof.

They are very functional coops, but they are not eye candy because in my location that isn't an issue. In other locations curb appeal would play a major part in coop design, building codes are different and some here have to deal with home owners associations and such, and sometimes they have no option but to lay out a handsome sum of cash to meet requirements.

Quote:
I've just built my first one. I spent DAYS tearing apart pallets to reuse the wood. The only things I bought were SOME of the screws/nails, the 2X4's & one piece of plywood. I built it inside an existing shed. I've also used every.single.bit.of.wood that I've bought.

You are so right when you have some that have to follow HOA, etc.

I'm not offended at all.. I've wondered the very same thing on some of these tiny little coops that cost upwards of $1.5k.. Far as mine goes, I could have bought a prefab shed and converted it but I felt I could do it better and cheaper. In the end, mine will also be used as storage for tools and whatnot, as well as a coop.

I understand that some people don't have the skills or tools to build something on the cheap, but there are cheaper options out there than what I'd seen some people diving into buying.

That said however, it is indeed their money.. They worked for it, they can spend it as they see fit.

Reminds me of the man who was buried in his Corvette and had it encased in concrete.

What ever floats their boat I guess.

Far as HOA, I can understand that as well.. If you HAVE to have cedar siding, then go for it.. If I could afford it, by golly I would too... Stuff lasts forever.
wink.png
But yeah, that's understandable.. Mine is going an extra few steps to make it look pretty because it's dang near in the front yard... Actually side yard, but it can be seen easily from the road.

Last edited:
Although my coop is very cheap (under $50) I did need to make it look reasonably handsome so that the neighbors would not call the code enforcement people. To me it was part of the "minimum" needed to be able to have chickens at all.

Mine is one of those Amish pre built shed things. It is sweet.....3 nice windows, a door just like the one on my house. It also cost WAY more than I should have spent on a chicken house. That said, I have NO skills at building things, my husband is military and right at 7,000 miles away from me (and he really isn't that handy if he WAS here), I am also trying really hard to hold down the fort alone for me, the 3 kids, and the ton of animals. In the end it waas worth it to get a sturdy, secure, locking, predator proof coop. Everyone has their reasons, that's mine.
smile.png
Oh, but I did make the curtains from $1 a yard fabric and they are adorable!!!
smile.png

roosterjerry,
Good question. Remember that economics are different in different areas of the country. The last time I bought chickens they were about $20.
As far as the coop, I bought the shed (display on clearance). Didn't have the time or desire to try and build one.
Big Screen in the coop?? I jokingly posted that there was one in my coop, I can't imagine that anyone really would.
You are absolutely right about about people who need food & shelter, and I hope people do what they can. Friday I bought 8 bags of groceries for the foodbank and delivered Sat morning on my way to work. I think most people are generous and help if they can. America is the most giving country in the world.

Imp/Russ-

Quote:
Yes, Imp is absolutely right.
smile.png
Most people do try to help others...at least from what I see. Just today my kids informed me that we have a few too many eggs sitting around and we need to find a needy person to give them to.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom