Is it Marek's?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LoneCowboy, Aug 4, 2011.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I have 2 14 week only pullets that are currently affected. I found the first one unable to walk but able to move her legs but not use them. However, she gets around as needed and uses her wings to get to the food and water in the hospital cage I've set up. She's bright and alert, but just can't use her legs. They are both stretched out in the same direction, not opposite as the book says.

The next one was out in the yard yesterday and I turned on the hose so they could play in the water. I went into one of the coops to do something and when I came out, I found this one laying upside down like she was dead. I thought there is no way, I was just there. So I went and got her, and she perked right up and I set her down and she staggered off and then seemed fine. Just like she was slightly drunk. She made it up the big ramp into the coop last night. Tonight, she's unable to walk also, but bright and alert. I moved her into the hospital cage with the other one so at least they will have company.

Now I know I'll have to put them down. I hate the thought since they are aware and alert and surviving on their own. However, I can't let them get everybody else sick, which they probably will anyway.

I did notice that they were pretty thin for 14 week old pullets. But they don't seem to fit the description of Marek's that's in the book very well.

Thoughts?

Also, is there something I can do for the other to help prevent them getting it too? A lot of them are roosters so I'm sure they won't get it. But will disinfecting the coop help? Any drugs, diet etc?

2. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I have been going through this and had an avian vet come out to inspect my flock, no diseases, but to be sure it wasn't something he did give me antibiotics for their water which they had to take for 5 days. then even on that I still had chickens going down same way, some a lot worse, turns out the heat was too much for them. but then a few of them weren't acting the same, they are alert and eating and drinking, then I realized they were injured, leg injuries to be exact. So I have currently 2 hat are in a cage scooting about and supporting themselves with their wings, they are eating fine and drinking, they too were a bit too skinny so I thought.

I have to bath them every day since they can't exactly walk away from their poop when they go, and I did give them the antibiotics too just to be on the safe side. I would suggest you medicate your girls water with an antibiotic to be on the safe side, but do check them to see if they have leg injuries.

Do you have any other birds or animals with your hens that could accidentally step on them or injure them in some possible way??

Ema

3. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I thought it was the heat to start with. It's been horrible here and yes they are a bit over crowded. If the one hadn't started the problem yesterday I would think injury also. I was getting ready to move the pullets in with the other chickens to stop the over crowding problem when the first one got sick. Then I didn't dare for fear of spreading some disease.

I am medicating also. Are yours getting any better? Are they able to walk any better?

4. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:Its been a week and yes they are now trying to get around better, these are the ones with the injured legs. sadly all the ones who suffered from the heat did not recover and we had to kindly euthanize them. when they get heat stroke because their brains are so small it causes a lot of brain damage, sometimes its irreversible and I saw this in the birds I had to put down. these two have different symptoms and were eating/drinking. where as the other ones I had to coax to drink and would barely eat, and would by all accounts keep their eyes closed and were weak....that is heat issues....these two I got gobble everything down and peep about in their cage specially when I walk by as they want another treat. I don't put their water nearby as I want them to move about, but I think it will be another week or so before they show more improvement.

I hope they get better soon for you :) mine have a lot of panache, so I will not put down a bird if its got every intention of staying alive. :)

Ema

5. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Lost the little black one today but the blue one I've been working with for a week now is sitting up better and eating really well. I need her to start using her legs more though. I take her out each day and work with her on standing, maybe that's helping.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If you're looking at Marek's, the symptoms are not cut and dry. The symptoms could be none to paralysis. Mine either wasted away, or got paralysis and had a healthy appetite. When I lost 3, a week apart, I knew. Keep reading symptoms. Most websites are not thorough enough.

Roosters get it too. Out of 13 so far, about half have been roos for me.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by