Is it me or is this just plain rude?

Robin'sBrood :

I asked my 13 year old if he wanted to go and he already had plans with his friends so we won't be attending this year. I guess my frustration today is really with my mother who will make me feel guilty for not making my son go to the party... I'm just venting in advance.
wink.png

"make me feel guilty" is probably what that's about. I have a mother in law who'd call the day of or the day before each holiday then complain to her friends and gossip that I never bring the kids over to her. All through the year when I'd try to visit with the kids she'd have "other, more important things to do". I heard it through an old friend who sometimes works at a "women's club" my mother in law attends luncheons at. I think it was her game plan, to make demands that we "honor" her with visits on the holidays then gossip and whine that we'd refuse to visit her when in fact we had already planned other places to be, as she NEVER accepted our offers of visits through the year.

She has always been strange and unfriendly, DH says she's never been nice to anybody so I shouldn't feel special that she's weird to me, too. A few years ago she yelled at me in public, "I resent everything you've done to my son!" and when she was done and stormed off, a stranger who was sitting closeby put an arm around me and said," boy, that woman hates you."

So, my feeling is that your cousin probably doesn't care much about you, based on her behavior with the last minute invites. Either she doesn't really expect you to make it but somebody's making her send you an invite, or she's trying to prove to others that you're being bad to her by not honoring her kid's birthday. Some people are just strange socially. That's the way it happened for me.

I have completely given up on trying to get along with my mother in law. We're happier for it, nobody around here needs her tension or stress. Somebody told me that's OK to do, as we NEVER have to accept behavior that's unacceptable, even from family.​

6chickens in St. Charles :

Robin'sBrood :

I asked my 13 year old if he wanted to go and he already had plans with his friends so we won't be attending this year. I guess my frustration today is really with my mother who will make me feel guilty for not making my son go to the party... I'm just venting in advance.
wink.png

"make me feel guilty" is probably what that's about. I have a mother in law who'd call the day of or the day before each holiday then complain to her friends and gossip that I never bring the kids over to her. All through the year when I'd try to visit with the kids she'd have "other, more important things to do". I heard it through an old friend who sometimes works at a "women's club" my mother in law attends luncheons at. I think it was her game plan, to make demands that we "honor" her with visits on the holidays then gossip and whine that we'd refuse to visit her when in fact we had already planned other places to be, as she NEVER accepted our offers of visits through the year.

She has always been strange and unfriendly, DH says she's never been nice to anybody so I shouldn't feel special that she's weird to me, too. A few years ago she yelled at me in public, "I resent everything you've done to my son!" and when she was done and stormed off, a stranger who was sitting closeby put an arm around me and said," boy, that woman hates you."

So, my feeling is that your cousin probably doesn't care much about you, based on her behavior with the last minute invites. Either she doesn't really expect you to make it but somebody's making her send you an invite, or she's trying to prove to others that you're being bad to her by not honoring her kid's birthday. Some people are just strange socially. That's the way it happened for me.

I have completely given up on trying to get along with my mother in law. We're happier for it, nobody around here needs her tension or stress. Somebody told me that's OK to do, as we NEVER have to accept behavior that's unacceptable, even from family.​

clap.gif

I'm not sure if it's rude or not. It's entirely possible that your cousin doesn't have her act together with these parties and doesn't know exactly who her child wants to come or how many people she can accomodate until almost the last minute. One of my co-workers sons is having a birthday and, at first, he said he didn't really want a party. Then, almost at the last minute, he decided he wanted one after all.

I would have just said thanks, but we have already made other plans for that day. Tell her if you would have known sooner, you would have been better able to attend.

You can choose your friends, you can't choose your family..
at least you got and invite, just cause it came in a form that isn't in sinc with your lifestyle I would't be quick to judge it, everyone makes up their own etiquite these days, unfortunately that doesn't give everyone time to include such a glorious event so someday she'll plan a party and no one will show up. at least you have a good excuse to not attend, you made other plans and didn't know...

Quote:
Is it a Sept. 11th party or your son's 4 BD or both? Honestly, throwing a bash for a 4 year old is setting yourself up for a lifetime of over the top events, every time some special little anniversary happens, and a whole lot of grief, if you suddenly decide to say, "Enough, already."

It is just his birthday. I feel terrible having a party on Sept 11 (such a heavy day) but my husband has to work the 10th. I do agree with you on the setting the bar high, but I have also learned from my older daughter that the older they get the more they do NOT want the traditional birthday party. Just call a few of her friends over, throw a mattress on the floor with a pizza on top of and back out SLOWLY!! So I am soaking up every minute of this. Life is too hard for for everybody right now, so if some cake & friends can make it a bit easier~ it's a Super Hero Party all the way!

Robin -- don't let yourself get too upset! With kind of notice -- if you can come, you can come, if you can't, you can't. My hubby and I are planners. We have some good friends who are just different than we are. We love them, but they usually call at 5:00pm to see if we can get together for dinner. Well at 5:00pm I usually have dinner going and have to say no. I used to get upset by it because I hated telling them no. I don't get upset anymore. Your cousin may just be a last minute kind of lady.

She said right there that the child finally decided just then. Doesn't sound like it was within within her control.

I would go if I had the time to go, and if I had to do something already, I'd just say, 'I'm sorry, have somethng else on my schedule at that time'.

I don't find it 'offensive' or 'rude'. It's just woops, it didn't work out.

Too, sometimes as kids get older, parents put a limit on party size just so they can afford to pay for the refreshments, and that causes difficulties plannng/scheduling too.

Robin'sBrood :

wink.png

The response to your mother or anyone else who asks is that he already had plans. Even if the plans were merely to sit in his room playing mindless video games.

I am usually one of the last minute planners, and I certainly don't get miffed when someone cannot attend; I may be sad that they cannot come; or if I gave a general "save the date" message, but did not have exact time and location specifics I may be annoyed that they made other plans. I do not necessarily expect an individual invitation to family events--especially for extended family. Passing the information through the different branches of the family is usually how it is done for us.

I get annoyed with a couple of relatives who plan their lives so far in advance that if you want to see them you have to get on their schedule 2 months in advance. To me that is ridiculous. Yes, a few things you plan that far in advance (weddings, some vacations), but not your whole life.​

Quote:
Is it a Sept. 11th party or your son's 4 BD or both? Honestly, throwing a bash for a 4 year old is setting yourself up for a lifetime of over the top events, every time some special little anniversary happens, and a whole lot of grief, if you suddenly decide to say, "Enough, already."

People have birthdays on the 11th of September, too. Yes, there is a lot of grief for some people about the day, and if anyone close was personally affected by the 911 traged, then holding a celebration on the 11th could be viewed as in bad taste, but if not, then let the child have his birthday party on his birthday, and do not stress over the date. Four year olds have birthdays; its a whole lot easier to have a big bash when they get excited about the cake and balloons. You don't have to make every year a huge bash, and for that matter, there is nothing to suggest that this party is a huge bash--it's just a birthday party. Special to the child and his parents, but not so much to everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom