Is it MITES?

I have 6 chickens in my outdoor flock and 4 chicks inside. 3 of the older hens I got from a farm there about 1 1/2 yrs. old. they are bsl's and they were missing a lot of feathers when I got them due to being low on the pescing order and roosters being rough. I have had them for a year and two of them are still missing back feathers. I don't see any fighting so I am wondering if they will ever grow back? One of them is starting to lose festhers under her wings. The rest of the flock seems fine no problems eating or laying. Could only one chicken have mites or could there be another problem?

I have 6 chickens in my outdoor flock and 4 chicks inside. 3 of the older hens I got from a farm there about 1 1/2 yrs. old. they are bsl's and they were missing a lot of feathers when I got them due to being low on the pescing order and roosters being rough. I have had them for a year and two of them are still missing back feathers. I don't see any fighting so I am wondering if they will ever grow back? One of them is starting to lose festhers under her wings. The rest of the flock seems fine no problems eating or laying. Could only one chicken have mites or could there be another problem?

Pics?

I would up the protein {BOSS is good for that} and see what happens. It could be they are doing a molt, if they haven't recently, because they are about the right age.

Thanks, I do think it is a molt. The other 18 month old looks like she is loosing some feathers too. I asked at the feed store where I get my supplies and she said the same thing. I have been giving them more protein and they seem fine I'm still getting eggs everyday from all of them.

Dust Birds with seven, Liquid is concentrated like dawg said, dust pen area (floors or ground, nests etc) with sulfur. do this every two weeks until the signs disappear. Then start once a month dusting the grounds with diatamauos earth (food grade) Do all of this lightly don't overdo it. but do it regularly.

I missed a post it could be molt but my advice above is a good routine to start

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom