Is it moral to eat meat? ***Constructive Discussion ONLY***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I eat meat because I like it and I was raised that way. My family has always fished and hunted too (except me and mom) and we never waste anything. Our rule is we eat what we kill. That is something I definitely believe in.

Until I joined this site I never even thought of the conditions food animals were kept in, nor do I really even want to. Maybe that's selfish...sorry...to me, food is food. It is necessary for our survival.

We purchase alot of our food at local markets because it tastes better and fresher. We grow, can, and dehydrate almost everything we can grow in our garden. We have chickens for eggs, and I tried raising chickens for meat. I can admit that raising my own meat chickens is not something I'll ever do again, but the self-satisfaction and taste were well worth it. I just cannot go through raising and killing my animals again. I went through with it because that was their purpose and I committed to it but if I won't do it again.

The experience was one I'll never forget because I constantly thought of my Grandparents who came over from Europe and this was just a fact of life for them. I was met with alot of opposition along the way, from people who thought I couldn't go through with it, to those who were absolutely disgusted. I did also find that some respected me for it although they were in the minority.

So, I have meat in my freezer which I will savor and enjoy, and a bountiful garden to look forward to. I will continue to shop at local markets and only buy from the grocery store when necessary.

I respect all of you who raise your own meat animals, as well as those who don't eat meat. We all have the right to eat what we want, and I'm thankful for this forum to allow us to openly discuss our opinions.

Quote:
Actually, it's thou shall not murder. If you kill an animal to eat it, not just for the fun of shooting (which I think is horribly wrong) you are not murdering. And in the Bible it's talking about murdering other people. I really don't want to start an argument. I'm just saying what I know. If you ever want to know more about what I'm talking about or want to argue with me, you are always welcome to P.M. me.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Actually, it's thou shall not murder. If you kill an animal to eat it, not just for the fun of shooting (which I think is horribly wrong) you are not murdering. And in the Bible it's talking about murdering other people. I really don't want to start an argument. I'm just saying what I know. If you ever want to know more about what I'm talking about or want to argue with me, you are always welcome to P.M. me.
hugs.gif

Thank you for pointing that out to. If you ain't suppose to kill animals way do you think God wanted them to sacrifice animals in the old testament.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Ilovemychickies" I Totally agree good point.

I believe it's "moral" to eat meat, because if it wasn't that would make it immoral to do so,
and the first things that pops into my head when someone say's something is "immoral" is Wrong,illegal,promiscuity,etc...

I myself am a christian,non-denomenational to be exact, and cannot find one place in the Bible that tells us not to eat meat, and certainly know that it never say's that eating meat is immoral.

Someone brought up the ten commandments, you know one of the ten commanments is " have no other god's before Me" So if you treat meat,or anything other food as a god in your life that could possibly be immoral, but that's just from my perspective.
I love debates!!!

Chickenboy8 you asked why they sacrificed animaly in the Bible, Those sacrifices took place in the Old testament,and where used to make atonment for the peoples sins. Christians (myself included ) believe that these sacrifices are no longer needed after Jesus Christ Died on the cross, if you would like more info or to comment, feel free to pm me.
wink.png

Chickenboy8 you asked why they sacrificed animaly in the Bible

I didn't mean it that way, I was trying to make a point of they did kill animals in the bible.​

Quote:
B12 is found in some plants, just in very limited amounts (which is why a vegan should supplement). Eggs, however, are a good enough source of B12.
big_smile.png
Yes, it's an animal product, but it's not meat. So a vegetarian should get plenty of B12 without supplementation.

And something I discovered about protein...I'm a vegetarian, have been for, like, a zillion years
old.gif
. One day I got to thinking about all the protein hype. Yes, I say hype. I know we need it, but back when the Atkins diet was "in" it was the only component of a healthy diet that anyone seemed to worry about (so there went the idea of a healthy diet...). Anyway, I decided to track my daily intake of protein, for the fun of it. Signed up for a free internet diet service that you plugged everything you ate in a day and the amount, and it would spit out this super cool analysis of the calories, fat, proteing, etc. Well, I was taking in an excessive amount of protein. Literally twice what an average adult needed. How's that for beans?
wink.png
It's really, really easy to get enough protein in your diet, meat is not necessary.

ETA: I'm not trying to say meat isn't healthy, I think a well-rounded diet (and the avoidance of the "fake" stuff, hydrogenated oils and preservatives, etc.) where moderation is key is what is healthy, meat or not.

Last edited:
I'm about 7 pages behind so this may have been addressed already.

Genesis 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the Lord God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

It doesn't say they ate meat in the garden but an animal gave up its life for their clothing.

Genesis 4:4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof.

It doesn't say that Adam and Eve ate meat nor does it say that their son, Abel, ate meat but it does imply so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom