Is it necessary to change water daily?

We are using a kitty litter bucket with nipple waterers for our 22 hens/pullets so their water is clean all the time. I use recycled plastic bottles for ice containers; just drop them into the bucket...late in the day I remove them...rinse them off and refreeze for the next day. If the bucket needs water, I use the water from the bottles. They really enjoy the cool water. I see no need to scrub the bucket every day.

I have several closed nipple waterers - I only change the water about twice a week and have no problems. No algae, etc. If it's HOT I'll change it during the day to get some cold water in there or drop something cold into the bucket (ice/icepack). I'd probably change an open waterer daily.

I use a poultry waterer, it has a small red plastic bowl that fills on weight. It hold a small amount of water and releases more as they drink it. It rarely needs to be cleaned out because it constantly releases fresh water.....but I check it every day. I keep a 5 gallon bucket in the coop in case the waterer fails. Although the waterer hasn't failed, the girls knocked the bowl off once.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
This is SO true!!
smile.png

When it's dirty I clean it. When it's almost empty I fill it!!

Missi

thumbsup.gif

x3

the 5 gallon bucket bottom I use i change daily w/ fresh cold water but the 10 gallon water in the house I change every few days, plus I add DE to them as well and Apple cider vinegar.
smile.png

I do not change water for my dogs NOR do I change it daily 4 my hens! They seem to b just fine. when the water seems murkey or has algae in it I change it. Do what suites u! something that works 4 u may not work 4 sum1 else:D

In the heat of summer I change out the water every day. Otherwise, I swish the sides and change every other day. In between days I dump the bottom and let it refill with fresh clean water. I wash with dish soap then soak in bleach every Saturday. On hot days, they also get lots of extra produce from the garden from the fridge. Cold tomatoes, cucumbers sliced lengthwise, squash, etc that are high in moisture to help them stay hydrated and encourage them to eat when it's hot.

ive got 9 hens and a 3 gal galvanized waterer. i have to fill it every other day but i do check it every day just in case. i clean out the bottom part when it seems dirty and sloshing the water around wont get it.

Im considering getting a second waterer as its 95+ now w/ a heat index over 100 w/ no relief in sight.

as for the drinking it myself part, i wouldnt drink out of the water dish brand new from the store.

We do the nipple thing... and it's hooked to a 5 gallon bucket... we don't have to refill every day, but I do check it daily just to be sure. I also give the nipple a jolt to make sure it's working. In this heat a few hours without water can be deadly so it's worth that extra one second. The top is covered, but not sealed (nipples won't work in a vacuum) so it gets cleaned now and then, but not more than once a week. Oh, and that's for four hens... not a huge number.

I find it near imperative to change the water every day.

I use TWO 2 gallon galvanized double walled waterers.

I wash the bottom out with my hands with any old water in the canisters.

I then fill the waterer under a fost free and let the water run over and down a rat hole.

I then replace the top and PULL UP on the outer part to prime the waterer.

I do this WITH OUT fail every morning OR every evening depending on what I see in the lips.

My flock is healthy and hydrated. I think it cuts down on feed and medications that one would need otherwise.

I DO have a few containers about the grounds in front of the chicken barn and I change this water when it clouds.

If you think about it, would you take a gallon of water out of your frig that has been there a few months and drink from it ?

Temps here are in the 90's and bateria and algea are my nemesis

AND YES I watch my hens drink from a muddy puddle, but they sure don't stand there and take their fill like they do at the waterers.

I have about 40 chickens now and the two waterer are about a third full at the end of the day. THEY DRINK A LOT !!

Back
Top Bottom