Is it necessary?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by arabianequine, Oct 19, 2010.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    for the reins to be sooooo tight on the horses mouth?

2. ChickGirl6

ChickGirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    No, it's not necessary. I ride all my horses with just a rope halter and a lead rope.

3. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I just watched the first little bit but the horse is in schooling stage still. He would naturally poke his head up in the air & is only starting to learn to put it down with leg & hand aids. Once he has learned this, she will be able to ride him with less pressure (or she could decide to be a happy hacker & just let him put his head wherever he wants & ride him on a loose rein-not my advice though)

4. 2pinkmom

2pinkmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    I don't know much about western riding. But she looks to me like she's doing dressage in a western saddle. I didn't know that western riders held their reins like that. Her hands do look a bit unforgiving, especially at the canter, where you would want your elbows to move with the motion of the horse. But not knowing much about the style of riding, I couldn't say for sure.

5. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Not typically. When doing eqitation you need just light contact so you always have a connection with your horse, but a good hacking horse should be able to be ridden with a loose rein. If you need a tight rein perhaps the horse needs either a different bit or is not properly trained. Consult with a local horse person. Good luck!

6. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    There were more things wrong in that video than just the reins. The rein length would really depend on what they are training for. I rode/showed Saddlebred saddleseat and your reins are not droppy like pleasure classes. Trying to sit that trot - looks very uncomfortable for the horse - even with the western saddle you can post to the trot.

7. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

that was just an awful video and i felt sorry for the horse

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by