Is it normal for 2 weeks old to peck u alot

wannabchick

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2010
Northen Va
Sorry if this is a dumb question

But I have hatched 3 times now

The others never when I stuck my hand in..all came running over to peck me like mad
Now they aren't hurting me..

Their all bantam true amerecaunas

My others, seremas, Cochins and silikies..didn't do this

Now in the other box, I have a serema that is almost 2 1/2 months old
Oh my comes right up and pecks me super hard..I am pretty sure it's a girl..but starting to not like her

Anyone with advice
Xoxo

Whenever a hen starts to try to be top hen, you must show her that you are top hen.

What I do is grab the hen, hold her to the ground for a few seconds (not so this harms her in any way), then let her go. It works great! I am top hen. If you do nothing, she is top hen.

Try investigating anything new with your arms pinned to your sides. They peck out of curiosity AND to establish the pecking order. Chicks and chickens are intensely curious creatures.

When I determine a peck is NOT just to investigate something out of curiosity, I peck right back at the offender. I just put two fingers together (forefinger and middle finger) and lightly thunk the offender on the side or back of the head, or on the neck, just as a senior hen would do. "Stop that."

You'd be surprised how well it works. Nobody likes being pecked, especially chickens who have to put up with it all the time within their pecking order.

Lol, a hens pecking order is great and I enjoyed showing my hens who mother hen really is. Not sure what it is about my voice but, I've always been lucky with animals while training them and all I do is tell them no in a stern voice and they 9 times out of 10 listen well and normally will not push me to higher limits. I adopted a couple of older hens that tried to get away with it a few times and I began telling them no also and it has since stopped. You must seriously mean it when you tell them. I do the same for my roos and they now know.

I'm glad I read this thread. Some of my 3 week olds peck me, too. I was hand feeding them to get them tame. At first it was cute as they really go for any moles on my arms. Now they just plain hurt and peck any part of my hands. I have tried letting them peck me and say "ouch" loudly to let them know that I am not food. This has not worked. It never occured to me about the pecking order thing. I know this with raising dogs but I never dreamed I'd be dealing with this with my chickens! Interesting. I didn't want to "peck" back because I don't want them to be afraid of me but looks like this is needed. Thanks!

tongue.png

Get down on your knees and peck them back hard
smile.png

You gotta show who the top chicken is.

I read an article about rooster attacks on this site (search for it) where the following advice was given.
Don't try convincing them that you are the top hen or rooster because from time and again you will have to establish yourself at the top and it will soon get boring.
Kicking them around is not a big accomplishment either so just act as un-chickenly as possible so they don't see you as competition but like a part of the landscape instead.
If they peck move away or ignore them. Soon they will be puzzled by your un-chickenliness and move on.

If you pluck them hard they will never trust you again and while picking them up after they will resent you with fear and will most likely remain. I did this once to my conure because he drew blood and most all birds think alike.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom