Is it normal for a "retired" hen to make a daily visit to the nest box?

sluggospud

Songster
7 Years
Mar 17, 2012
SF Bay Area
My Coop
My Coop
I'm down to 2 hens in my main coop. Since the last molt, I've been getting about 4 eggs per week, and never two in one day. The barred rock is almost 6 years old, and the red sex link is 2.5. My guess is that the eggs are coming from the red sex link, but can't be sure because both of them make a daily visit to one of the two nest boxes.

I was curious about the behavior of the older hen. I couldn't find anything about whether this typical. It's possible that both are still laying. The red sex link laid 7 eggs/week the first season, and may have tapered off to very few at this point. I figured if that were the case there should have been a day with 2 eggs.

You can also just take a day and watch them. I have one hen that lays in the morning and one that lays less frequently in the afternoon. If I don't see Beverly in the morning in the run, I know she is laying. :p

Well I'll be darned!

It's the old girl who's laying. Early Friday I moved my 2.5 year old red sex link to the quarantine enclose because she started acting poorly Wednesday evening (sleeping on the floor of the coop instead of the roost, and lethargic).

Surprise, surprise - I got an egg both yesterday and today so I know it's from my old girl. Boy, she is a keeper.

Back
Top Bottom