1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it normal for baby chicks to have combs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Biddieacres, May 21, 2008.

1. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    A few of the chicks started getting combs at a week old. Is this normal? I got them from a feed store and wondering if a few are roosters.

2. bamadominaker

bamadominaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Honoraville, Alabama
    probabbly a roo. I have two NJG roo's that got there combs within the first week or two. But that's just me.

3. MiniDriver

MiniDriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Mine showed tiny combs from the earliest days, and I hope they're girls!

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    my sussex and campines started showing some comb development from about day 8-9 (by development, I mean like you notice the comb when you first look at the chick's head, as opposed to you have to squint, which I thinkn you could see *some* comb by squinting right from the get-go). And one golden campine has had a markedly BIG and RED comb from day 12. The ones that developed the combs earliest are now, at nearly 3 wks, still the ones with the largest combs and I feel fairly sure that most or all will be the roos of the bunch.

Here is a pic of the most extreme one, "mr rooster head", at I think 12 days:

[​IMG]

and here again at approx. 15 days:

[​IMG]

(The 'early large red comb' crew unfortunately includes my son's favorite GC, "Peep", the runt... I am not sure I want to keep *any* GC roo but surely not the runt... I dunno, will jump off that bridge when I come to it I guess [​IMG])

Last edited: May 21, 2008
    rcally likes this.
  5. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

what type of chick is in the piccy ? i see it has green leggs and my chicks have them too, trying to figure out what they are has me puzzled , think they are EE, but tey are light grey and dark grey all over except their wings are white and tail and they have a white stripe lengthwise on their bodies/

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    WOW! that little guy does have a serious comb coming it at 2 weeks.

7. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    My RIR has had a comb since a week, but she really seems to be a girl, it has stayed the same size since she got it.

8. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Thank you Patandchickens for the pictures. I feel better now. [​IMG] Like you said, I do have to squint or look pretty close to see their combs so maybe they are hens. Lets hope because I love them all so much and do not want to have to give any away.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:It's a golden campine. The legs are probably more slatey than greeny, I'd say, but I am absolutely no expert on Chick Leg Colors.

Good luck,

Pat

10. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

ohy pat and chickens
    thanx u
    i am by noi means an expert either.
    i went from milking 5 cows twice a day to going crazy over chickens ! we have 130 of them , which 101 are jumbo cornish and the rest are brown eggers mixed. I think the free exotic chick might be an EE , hence the green legs?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by