Is it normal for chicks to be super loud during the night?

Gardenpig

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
OC
I just got 2 new chicks, a brahma and a australorp. They are about 4 days old and they are making such a loud ruckus and its 11 pm!! My family is not happy and I don't know if this is normal. I thought it was bc they were too cold but I gave them 2 lights. One about 100w and the other 75w. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you!

I am no expert, and one will be along shortly, but my 6 Aussies are loud anytime they are awake, which includes in the middle of the night. It is not unusual at all for them to be awake ad busy at 2am, after a nap.
I worried about keeping them awake, as a night-owl personality, myself, but when they are tired, they sleep, and when they are awake, they are peeping at top volume.
Is their ruckus one of unhappiness? Or is it just normal chick noises?
Hang in there!
Bright Blessings
Rachel

they are only louder at night because you are quieter. Chicks peep constantly, and after they get a few weeks old they only get louder.

I gave them 2 lights. One about 100w and the other 75w.

Just wondering about how much light/heat you are giving them? Indoors they probably don't need two lamps on them... make sure they have a warm spot and a cooler spot in the brooder so that they can choose where to sit. If you want, put a thermometer under the lamp, and adjust it so that it reads 90-95*F in the warm zone.
Are they eating/drinking and pooping?
Basically, if they poop they will grow
wink.png

Rachel'sFlock :

I am no expert, and one will be along shortly, but my 6 Aussies are loud anytime they are awake, which includes in the middle of the night. It is not unusual at all for them to be awake ad busy at 2am, after a nap.
I worried about keeping them awake, as a night-owl personality, myself, but when they are tired, they sleep, and when they are awake, they are peeping at top volume.
Is their ruckus one of unhappiness? Or is it just normal chick noises?
Hang in there!
Bright Blessings
Rachel

the austrolop seems to be upset bc she cant see outside her box and keeps trying to jump up over the box to see whats outside. does this indicate something? am i doing something wrong?​

also when the austrolop is trying to look outside and jumping her chirps are really really loud. my brahma is actually pretty quiet compared to the austrolop. what should i do?

With two lamps in their brooder, is there anywhere they can go to get in the shade and cool off? If they're hot, that would explain the jumping and loud peeping, because they're trying to get out to get cool. Most brooders use just one lamp, positioned so that the chicks are warm enough - not just huddling beneath it all the time - and allowing for part of the area to be cooler. Just a thought.

I would be a bit concerned about the temp as well. It seems important for them to have a warm side and a cool side.
They tell me the Aussies are also much more vocal than other breeds, tho I don't know that for a fact, since all mine are the same breed.
If she is telling you there is something wrong, there probably is. Check the temp (get a thermometer from outside if you need to) and make sure they have some shade from the heat lamps.
Has she calmed down at any point since 11pm ur time? Is she taking naps in between peeping and jumping?
Keeping you in my thoughts

She was jumping up and down when I had both lamps and when I took one lamp away. I took the hotter one away bc its a desklamp and it was heating up a lot. I now put the second lamp back just to see if they would quiet and they are now sleeping again. They do seem to nap and get up and nap and get up.

how do you all deal with noise as they grow older? they don't make so much noise at night when they are full grown hens in their coops, do they?

Back
Top Bottom