Is it normal for ducklings to shake when they eat?

It may have been my post you read about dying, shaking ducklings. It doesn't sound like the same thing that was happening to mine. Mine would shake not just when they were eating, and they did do a lot of backward walking. Anyway, I think it is normal for them at this age to move their heads vigorously when they eat. I have also noticed that sometimes if they get something on their beaks, they will give their heads a good shake to get it off and send it flying.

Last edited:
My husband is enamored with the ducklings like he never was with the chicks. Now he actually sits there with me, watching them, and pointing out their funny quirks. We like how, right before they defecate, they step back, give a little squat with the wings out, do the business, and move on. They actually think about it, instead of just wandering around with stuff randomly coming out. I catch the one duckling looking at me all the time. She stares at my face! I'm not making it up I swear! And they already play funny games with each other. They play this game: meet bill to bill, stare on another down, one duckling makes a demonstrative peck to the side to see what the other will do, and then they run around in happy circles. Amazing. And they wag their tails!

A duck can not eat with out water. For ducklings the food should be wet. But in the summer never let wet food set for more than an hour or two. You should have dry food out also, and make sure it is side by side with the water. Your main concern here is to never let wet food go sour.
When I have had young ducklings I would add a boiled egg yolk to their feed every few days, to encourage them to eat right away and come back in an hour and clean out the feed pans. You will have more feeding times but no problems. Limit giving yolks,you do not want too much protein or you could get angle wing.
quoted :(If part of a duckling's wing (or wings) start to grow out from their body instead of folding flat, the condition is known as Angel wing. As the primary feathers start coming in they turn out away from the body instead of folding in under the secondary feathers. It can be caused by excess protein)
Also important is not to feed ducks medicated feed. It collects in the fatty glands and can eventually make them sick or kill them.
Can you please tell me what to do one of my ducklings won't stop shaking and she is not growing like the rest. I have read lots of posts but i want to do the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom