Is it normal for Ducks to stop laying eggs in the fall?

horsepowerhaven

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 20, 2009
Queen Creek, Arizona
I'm still in my first year with Ducks. Two of my females have stopped laying eggs completely. My youngest is still laying about one egg a day. Is this normal? The duck eggs are my favorite to eat and I'm hoping they will start to lay again.

There is a wide variety of laying patterns. It can be affected by light, temperature, stress, diet, and genetics, among other things.

Some breeds are more seasonal than others, and within breeds there are differences.

Sieben is still laying a few a week, Carmella lays almost every day. Most of the other 10 haven't laid in weeks, and that is okay.

While I miss not having as many eggs, I do want them to be healthy and if they need rest, let them have it.

It is also a good time to get fecal tests done and if they need medicine, give it while they won't be laying eggs - since medicines often mean you cannot eat the eggs anyway.

Yes, most breeds are seasonal layers as the days grow short, nights colder they cease. I have no Muscovy or calls laying, but my Pekin and buff are still.

They free range during the day but I keep a light on to extend the day in my coop to encourage laying.
I miss my duck eggs and they have never stopped laying like this before.
I thought they were hiding a nest but I can't find one anywhere.

Two months ago I was averaging 9 a day from the 10 ladies of the flock. Since the end of November that number has dropped to where I'm currently at 3-5 eggs a day. I'm sure by the end of the year they will all be molting. Like you, I am a rookie as well, but I expect to see eggs in the early spring.
Enjoy,
Rich

What type of nesting area for laying do you all have for your ducks? I created a couple areas in my chicken coop on the ground enclosed with curtains for privacy but I find the ducks love to find their own nesting spot elsewhere on the property. What can I do to make the coop more welcoming for the ducks?

frankly i have never found ducks to use proper nest boxes, they lay where the choose and in young birds that can out on the ground or even in pools.
roll.png
A nicely bedded area will do. The horse barn here has been laid in, never seen such a funny reaction with a horse seeing an egg.
lol.png

The favourite choice here would be doghouses we have multiples of them in the large fenced area for shelters those have seen many an egg and many a clutch.

I have Pekings and I haven't seen an egg since November. Can't really blame her it hasn't been above 20 degrees in a month. About eggs and nests for ducks what I have found is my girl makes a pretty good nest in her pine shavings in her house, but she always buries her eggs. I know she's not laying now because I find now perfectly round nest. I have them on straw right now to produce more heat for them. I have searched around in their house and their outdoor area and nothing.

Back
Top Bottom