Is it normal for the comb to start drooping over?

JeninMN

Songster
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Ok, I wasn't worried about this but the Roo we lost last week had this happen before he went...the comb had started to droop over ...no loss of color or anything...

Now our biggest Roo has the same thing starting...just the back part of the comb has drooped over....is this any kind of an indication that something is wrong at all?? Or is this normal?

Thanks!!

I don't think so.
When my hen's comb started drooping I added some vitamins to her water for a few days and kept an eye on her. Now it's all perked back up.

If you lost a roo that had the same symptoms it could be an illness. Maybe you should seperate this roo from the flock.

Last edited:
My leghorns' combs are so large that they fall over to one side. My BR roo, on the other hand, has a huge comb and it's not droppy at all. I've also got a little leghorn roo who's not even old enough to crow, and his comb is gonna be huge. I guess it depends on how large the comb is gonna be for the chicken, cause with my leghorn hens it's normal, but with the others it wouldn't be.

My berred rock roosters comb was so huge, it was flopped so much to one side it coverd his eye, it is normall as long coloring is the same color, We decided to dumb him becouse it was throughing off his balance a bit we did not want it to get worse, at that time he was only 9 months. it can happen.
lol.png

Yep, coloring looks good...we have Buff Orps...and his comb is def bigger than the other ones are...and so was the one on the guy we lost last week...I'll keep an eye on him and see if I notice anything else tho...

Thanks much!!!

Some breeds are known for their floppy combs - one example is the Ancona breed.

We have four Buff Orp hens, and all their combs are upright, but one has the back of the comb flopped over permanently, hence her name "Miss Floppy".

Back
Top Bottom