Is it normal to let chickens out in yard?

creedatticus

Songster
Apr 16, 2022
Provo, Utah
our yard doesn’t have a fence and we have lots of raccoons. Is it normal to let our chickens out during the day right now they just stay in their coop and run, mostly in their run. I’m a little bit worried for our chickens because they could run away or something else could get in. Should we let them out during the day?

Let's put it this way. They don't really understand it's gross to poop right by your front door, or porch. They can be hard to catch unless you've trained them to recall by bringing out a bucket of feed ect.
It is not uncommon, I see it in the countryside. but the birds are vulnerable to attack from predators, getting hit by cars or wandering off your property onto someone else's.

"Yard" fences don't always stop chickens anyway. If you're out there with them while you let them roam around, I see no harm. But they will poop on things you don't want them to, like your porch or deck. And they might tear up your landscaping flowers. Just be sure you work on training them to come when called. A small container with sunflower seeds or mealworms that makes a lot of noise when you shake it works well. :) Start with an or so hour of "recess" close to bedtime, so they will stay near their run the first few times. My chickens are happier when they've had their "recess." But we have too many foxes in the area right now to let them out when I'm not there to supervise.

I concure with everyone above...if you want them out to free range..limit their time..I started shaking a can of treats and calling when in coop..once they come when called..Easy when they get treats😁 start letting them out when your doing chores or gardening..then call them back to coop and treat. Mother nature is relentless..a meal is a meal. I have had racoons, attack during the day, esp Mama's with babes..better to keep your close or confined for their safety and your peace of mind.

A big determining factor is how big is your yard? I let mine out every day, but we live on 10 acres. Sure, we’ve lost some to predators here and there, but the chickens are happy and healthy and love free ranging. If they’ve been in the coop their whole lives already, they will go back in at night. All I do is close the run gate around sunset. I do a nightly count to make sure they all made it back.

As far as them pooping on stuff? They will. There’s no stopping it. On the porch, in the yard, everywhere. It’s not a big hassle cleaning it. And we’ve even gotten eggs laid on the patio furniture.

Free ranged or pasture raised chickens face danger all day every day. It is up to you to weigh the risks/rewards on free ranging. You would need a fence specifically designed for chickens in order for it to work anyway. The area our birds are is fenced with cattle panel and they weave in and out of it like its not there. Its only 4 feet tall so they could fly right over if they wanted. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Is it normal to let our chickens out during the day
For some people, it is normal to let chickens out during the day.
For some other people, it is normal to keep the chickens safely in their coop & run (no poop on the porch, no deaths from predators, no scratching up the neighbors' flowers, no hidden nests of eggs.)

I would say both choices are common enough to be considered "normal."

Back
Top Bottom