Is it normal?

shannon84

Crowing
7 Years
Jun 1, 2016
Indiana
Hi, my hens have been staying in the coop on their roost all day since it's gotten cold here. But my rooster will go out and do his thing. Why won't the hens go and free range with him or even the run? Thanks guys!

He probably just likes (or tolerates) the cold more than the hens do. Each chicken has a different personality, and roosters do tend to be more adventurous. My hens certainly don't like the cold--they are currently spending almost the entire day up in the sheltered portion of their coop, even though their run is snow free and protected from the wind with plastic.

He probably just likes (or tolerates) the cold more than the hens do. Each chicken has a different personality, and roosters do tend to be more adventurous. My hens certainly don't like the cold--they are currently spending almost the entire day up in the sheltered portion of their coop, even though their run is snow free and protected from the wind with plastic.
oh okay, that's good to know then! this is my first winter with chickens and I was getting concerned about the hens staying in the coop most of the day while my roosters was being his normal adventurous self. Seems miserable to be in a coop all the time ugh I feel bad for them. But I guess they like it that way.
1f644.png
Thank you for your response!

Back
Top Bottom