Is it normal......

caleb lentchner

Chirping
Mar 30, 2021
My older chickens are around 16 months old. One of them started spending the night in one of their hatching cubbies a few weeks ago instead of on the perch with everyone else. She now spends most of the day there as well. I do not have a roosters. why is she laying on unfereterlized eggs? will she stop after a few weeks? I take away the eggs when she does leave the space. is this normal behavior.

thanks for your help! how do you break that?
I'm not very experienced with it, but from what I've read you have to prevent her access to the eggs (usually by putting her in a dog crate or something with food and water). And I believe it's recommended to have a roost or something in there to sort of cool down her brood patch (if she has one, she might not right now).
Sometimes they just don't break and people will give them fertile eggs to hatch and raise or they'll get some chicks from the feed store or such.

Broody jail: Put her in an isolation cage with some food and water, in sight of the others (in the coop if it's not too hot or in/near the run is ideal). A wire cage elevated to air flow under her would be the best option, however I've used everything from a brooder to a dog exercise pen.

Keep her in the cage around the clock for about 2 days. At that time, if she's shows fewer signs of broodiness (puffing up, flattening down and growling, tik tik tik noise) you can let her out to test her. If she runs back to the nest at any point (usually they don't do it immediately, but maybe after 15 minutes, maybe an hour) then she's not yet sufficiently broken and needs to go back to the cage for another 24 hours. Then let her out and test her again. Repeat until she's no longer going to the nest box.

IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run, run not predator proof) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.

I take away the eggs when she does leave the space
Take away the eggs as soon as you find them.

1627210362502.png

Broody jail: Put her in an isolation cage with some food and water, in sight of the others (in the coop if it's not too hot or in/near the run is ideal). A wire cage elevated to air flow under her would be the best option, however I've used everything from a brooder to a dog exercise pen.

Keep her in the cage around the clock for about 2 days. At that time, if she's shows fewer signs of broodiness (puffing up, flattening down and growling, tik tik tik noise) you can let her out to test her. If she runs back to the nest at any point (usually they don't do it immediately, but maybe after 15 minutes, maybe an hour) then she's not yet sufficiently broken and needs to go back to the cage for another 24 hours. Then let her out and test her again. Repeat until she's no longer going to the nest box.

IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run, run not predator proof) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.
Well put Rosemarytyme but im confused. What is the reason for the isolation? Is this something i may have to do? Broody jail!!! I gotta research this ‘broody’ thing. Ah, great info RMT. You rock, as always 🐓❤️

Well put Rosemarytyme but im confused. What is the reason for the isolation? Is this something i may have to do? Broody jail!!! I gotta research this ‘broody’ thing. Ah, great info RMT. You rock, as always 🐓❤️
Isolation to keep her from going to the nest box - the rest of the flock (at least the laying birds) need to have access to nest boxes.

Also broodies are often temperamental, so it spares the others a bit of her wrath for a short time.

Back
Top Bottom