Is it normal...???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by USMCwifey, Apr 27, 2011.

1. USMCwifey

USMCwifey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    WNY
    I have six 2.5 week old White Pekins and I was wondering, is it normal...
    - for them to go threw about 5 gallons of water a day? They drink and splash and drink and drink! [​IMG]
    - to look all scraggly? Is it because their adult feathers are coming in? [​IMG]
    - have watery poops? [​IMG]

I'm a duckling newbie and this site has helped me SO much. Thank you guys so much for all your great info you give out and helping me raise my ducky clan! [​IMG] I hope my little guys are doing alright, they sure are getting bigger and louder! [​IMG] No quaking yet, should be any day though!

2. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Ducks are 10 times messier then chickens. They are born swimmers and love water. My week old ducklings splash in their water till its gone. They just do it. What feed do you feed your ducks? And of course they will look funny at 2 weeks. Their feathers are coming in and just like.chickens are fummy looking.

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes they will drink and make a mess to their hearts content. They will get their teenage feathers in and after that they will molt again to get their adult feathers. They wont start quacking (girls) untill about week 4 to 5. The boys will have a high pitched whistle.

4. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    ALL of those happened to my pekins at that age. [​IMG]

5. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Ive still got another 3 weeks or so before I find out what I have in ducklings and I will have to wait till next year to find out what I have in goslings [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by