1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it normal?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by reecey, Sep 18, 2013.

1. reecey

reecey Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2013
    Qld
    My neighbour has a male goose that hangs with the ducks and previously kicked out of the goose gang. He really thinks he is a duck and is now mating with them. Is that normal and will her eggs get fertilised by him?

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    if no female goose is around and he is in breeding season yes they can try and breed ducks. It can also injur or kill the ducks and no her eggs wont be fertile.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Might depend on breed of duck too, My Embden gander mated for about 5 yrs with my Muscovy ducks and no one was injured.

4. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Just my opinion but I would not let the gander breed the geese. Time to separate the ducks from the gander... That is what I would do in breeding season.

5. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Miss Lydia. My muscovy drakes are about the same size as my ganders, but the muscovy penis is huge, the gander not. Can´t imagine it would do any damage. As for near-drowning, there´s no difference! And if the muscovies don´t like it, it´s not as if they can´t escape! Mine run like the clappers when the young drakes are trying to get them, the ganders would have no chance! I got rid of an extremely randy muscovy drake that was trying to mount my geese, though, he terrified them, they couldn´t out-run him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by