Is it ok for my hens to be evicted from the brooder?

That's up to you - I say that because there's 2 mindsets on here. Some folks believe that the chicks should be allowed to learn to roost on their own schedule, that they'll most likely go up on their own once they're ready to do so. Other folks (me) want them roosting ASAP, though I've never had to put them up on roosts. My first group learned to do it from started pullets of the same age that I had added later, then after that all the chicks learned by watching the adults.

View attachment 2390035
(Most recent babies at 29 days, putting themselves to bed 3 days after being moved into adult coop.)
Great info thank you. They’re always looking up at it... wondering. Maybe tomorrow I will go out and place them up there. I’m in Everett, not freezing, they should be ok.

Chicks are full feathered by 5-6 weeks, so any fluff you're seeing is just normal floofy butt fluff and not chick down, unless they've been malnourished or something, which I doubt. Put them inside for 24 hours with some food and water, then open the door to let them out. They will go back inside if too cold. I use seedling heat mats under some straw, much safer than heat lamps and cheaper than brooder plates if you feel the need for additional warmth inititally.

Hi All, my hens are about 8 weeks old. They have most all of their feathers, i see a few down patches here and there under their feathers but not much, and some on their butts. They’ve truly outgrown their brooder in the garage, and weather outside runs between the mid 50’s during the day to low 40’s at night. As winter goes on, it would obviously get colder here in the PNW.
My hubby built them a good sized coop and enclosed run that’s been ready for some occupants since July. Is it safe to move them to the coop and keep them in there before I give them access to the run? They really need the room, I just don’t want them to be too cold and I'm not a fan of using a heat source in the coop.
what do you think?
ive attached pictures of the coop.
They’ll be fine. They have down jackets.

Hi All, my hens are about 8 weeks old. They have most all of their feathers, i see a few down patches here and there under their feathers but not much, and some on their butts. They’ve truly outgrown their brooder in the garage, and weather outside runs between the mid 50’s during the day to low 40’s at night. As winter goes on, it would obviously get colder here in the PNW.
My hubby built them a good sized coop and enclosed run that’s been ready for some occupants since July. Is it safe to move them to the coop and keep them in there before I give them access to the run? They really need the room, I just don’t want them to be too cold and I'm not a fan of using a heat source in the coop.
what do you think?
Beautiful coop. I live in Texas and the weather has been between 40-55 lately. I put my chicks outside at 6 weeks (they were fully feathered) and they are thriving in the extra space. I do brood mine in the house until I think they will be ok. If they are about 8 wks, they should be fine.

what do you think?
You're doing a great job! We had to move our stinky littles ones out of our garage a couple of days ago, too... but we're in FL so it's not that cold. You should be able to put your chicks inside the coop and leave them inside for the night. They will learn to go inside to roost. Cover your nest boxes for now so they don't sleep in them. Once they are laying age you can set wooden eggs or ping-pong balls in the nests to show them where to lay.

I have chickens of different ages in my brooder. The little ones need the heat but my cuckoo Marans have most of their feathers, so I am moving them to my juvenile coop tomorrow. In the juvenile coop I have a Blue Americana and a Olive Egger that are big enough to head into the big coop. I plan on putting them in tonight at sundown. Then I need to wake up at the crack of dawn to make sure they are not being bullied. I always introduce them in pairs, that way they have a buddy to run to. I have some Wyandottes and a Polish in the juvenile coop, so the Marans will be learning from the juveniles and the Americana and the Olive egger will learn from the big hens. Delegation of duties to the chickens is my aim.

Back
Top Bottom